• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 Lincoln penny DDO

8 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2021 at 10:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

Do you have any idea what real die doubling even looks like?   I ask because if you continue to ask about coins that have no reason to even ask about folks are going to start ignoring your questions.   If you want to find something you need to learn what to look for before you start to look not after.

This is a very good point.  To the OP.....you need to do some more homework, clearly.  Check out Wexler's Die Varieties page on Doubled Dies.....there is a ton of information there:

https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

We'll help you, but you have to put in some work as well.  Check out Wexler's site and others.  Look at photos of actual doubled dies, read about how they're made, learn what the characteristics of a true doubled die are.  You haven't posted a single coin which even remotely looks like it could be a doubled die of any type.  If you don't try to learn about doubled dies and other varieties on your own and you just keep posting coins like this, you likely will end up being ignored eventually.  Coinbuf's dead on.

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/27/2021 at 11:06 PM, Mohawk said:

This is a very good point.  To the OP.....you need to do some more homework, clearly.  Check out Wexler's Die Varieties page on Doubled Dies.....there is a ton of information there:

https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

We'll help you, but you have to put in some work as well.  Check out Wexler's site and others.  Look at photos of actual doubled dies, read about how they're made, learn what the characteristics of a true doubled die are.  You haven't posted a single coin which even remotely looks like it could be a doubled die of any type.  If you don't try to learn about doubled dies and other varieties on your own and you just keep posting coins like this, you likely will end up being ignored eventually.  Coinbuf's dead on.

Absolutely agree 100% that’s all I’ve been doing is reading and researching and I was on heritage auction earlier and they are examples way better than mine the pictures are way better than mine And there’s not many examples of this coin. 1988 1C Doubled Die Obverse, FS-101, MS66 Red PCGS. The die doubling is most obvious on Lincoln's ear, with the lobe duplicated south of the primary ear. This is the only attributed example of the variety at PCGS in a Red holder. PCGS lists another example in MS63 Red and Brown, but no others are attributed for the Doubled Ear variety (3/20). 

63FA61E9-EE48-44BE-AB5A-2C8C35AB6BBD.jpeg

F1687E59-5C5E-4F91-905A-4AE6317E4493.jpeg

2E560DEA-1DE2-4AF6-B0D5-E3058213A6DF.jpeg

Okay....well, I'm glad you're reading up and things.  I apologize for implying you're not.  However, I think you're not looking at the 1988 DDO FS-101 correctly.  Your photos did not help at all.  I hate to keep being critical, but you definitely need to work on some of your photos as well if you want us to be able to help you out.  Good photos are key to that process.  I first checked our host's Variety Plus page, but they didn't have a picture of this particular variety.  But then, I checked out Variety Vista and found a pic.....and this doubled die jumps right off and hits you in the face.  If you have one, you wouldn't have to ask about it.  Here's a link to the Variety Vista page so you and everyone else can see what I mean:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1988PDDO003.htm

The link says DDO-003, but once you see the page, you'll see they've updated it to FS-101.  There's no question about this variety.  It isn't subtle.  If the two earlobes don't jump out at you, then you don't have that variety.  Most of the really collectible and valuable doubled dies from before the single squeeze die hubbing era are like that.  They're not subtle and most are either naked eye pickups or they're visible under low magnification.  The 1988 FS-101 is like that.

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/28/2021 at 12:15 AM, Mohawk said:

Okay....well, I'm glad you're reading up and things.  I apologize for implying you're not.  However, I think you're not looking at the 1988 DDO FS-101 correctly.  Your photos did not help at all.  I hate to keep being critical, but you definitely need to work on some of your photos as well if you want us to be able to help you out.  Good photos are key to that process.  I first checked our host's Variety Plus page, but they didn't have a picture of this particular variety.  But then, I checked out Variety Vista and found a pic.....and this doubled die jumps right off and hits you in the face.  If you have one, you wouldn't have to ask about it.  Here's a link to the Variety Vista page so you and everyone else can see what I mean:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1988PDDO003.htm

The link says DDO-003, but once you see the page, you'll see they've updated it to FS-101.  There's no question about this variety.  It isn't subtle.  If the two earlobes don't jump out at you, then you don't have that variety.  Most of the really collectible and valuable doubled dies from before the single squeeze die hubbing era are like that.  They're not subtle and most are either naked eye pickups or they're visible under low magnification.  The 1988 FS-101 is like that.

Thank you & this is the pic I was looking at.

730F8CCB-9EF6-499B-A300-506B5C7831F8.png

On 9/28/2021 at 12:38 AM, Jaynh said:

Thank you & this is the pic I was looking at.

730F8CCB-9EF6-499B-A300-506B5C7831F8.png

With all due respect, how can you mistake your coin as being the same as this one taken from HA? The 1988 DDO FS-101 is unmistakable.