• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AU Details 275, 1831 Capped Bust 50c

7 posts in this topic

Hello all:  I stumbled across this coin at auction ungraded, and sent it NGC for grading, it came back AU Details 275.  I can't seem to find a clear answer on what that means.  AU, I understand is Almost Uncirculated, but why no 50-58 grade following AU?  Is this an exceptional coin or dud?  Thanks in advance for your time.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/5963116-003/50/

I think the 275 is the population (as we call it) of 1831 busties that have previously graded AU details at this service. Considering the tendency for people to clean their coins before they know they should not (not saying you, just many), I am surprised the number is that low.

It looks obviously cleaned to me, but it also looks like 55 or 58 details. I don't think any of the grading services give a details grade more precise than au or unc.  and it is not unc. It is not a coin for me, as it is just too shiny and obviously cleaned, but from a details standpoint, it is a high end au. It is not exceptional because it's been cleaned. I wouldn't call it a dud, but I suppose that depends upon what you paid for it. 

TPRC has it absolutely correct.  As far as I know, Details grades never have a numeric component.  It's just the MS, AU, XF and then details and the problem.  

It is a shame that someone ruined what was probably a nice coin, once upon a time.

If it belonged to me, I would remove it from its holder, then examine it carefully, using several different types of lighting, and different powers of magnification, and try to learn as much as possible about why it was given a no-grade. I would then carry it around as a pocket piece for a year or more, and see if I could give it enough good, honest wear to bring the grade down to at least XF, or possibly high VF. That should be enough wear to remove any damage done by the cleaning.  After that, I would store it away for a few years to see if it would get some natural toning. (No Taco Bell napkins or anything else to accelerate color, thank you.) I probably would not send it back in for grading, because that is not my thing, but I bet it would straight grade after that.

If anyone thinks this might be dishonest, let me point out that what I described is exactly what has happened to billions of coins that were pulled from circulation and saved, and are now in collections all over the world.