• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916s penny mintmark question

5 posts in this topic

Good evening. I am trying to find out if this is a repunched mintmark but can't match it up. Has anyone run across this one? It looks to me as though it is encircled. Thank you.

20210912_195411.jpg

20210912_200430.jpg

20210912_200417.jpg

I'm not seeing anything that would indicate repunching, but I am seeing some post minting damage around the mintmark.  In the photo of the whole coin, I thought the mintmark was a D at first, but I see that it is an S that's had something hit it.  From what I'm seeing, it's just a regular old low grade, damaged 1916-S Lincoln.

Yes, I thought it was a d as well at first. I just found one on coppercoins that looks similar, but there example is more beat up than this one. Hard to tell anything. Thanks for looking. Got my curiosity going.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin has only die erosion doubling visible on the date, and it may be on the mintmark as well, though the top of the S does seem to have taken a hit which pushed some metal downward.