• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NNC ??

11 posts in this topic

Hello all, another newbie question: I have seen some coins I want that are graded by NNC. Thoughts or opinions of these coin in comparison to the big 3. I'm not asking for an endorsement or rebuke of NNC just would a coin possibly sent for crossover (I wouldn't keep in NNC holder) could grade reasonable close? I realize I'm buying the coin and not the holder (and the.additional expense of cross-over). Thanx in advance :) 

On 9/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, Coinbuf said:

Good advice and info in this reply, there are as with anything exceptions.   About three years ago I bought 89-90 NNC slabbed Lincolns from a local dealer with the intention of cracking those and putting them into a nice capital coin display I had purchased previously.   All the coins were graded as MS68 or MS67 and all were nice red no problem coins, in reality most were really MS64 or MS65 which are still very nice coins just not good candidates for grading given the value.   These were cents from the early 1930's thru 1958 mix of dates and mintmarks, I paid anywhere from $.50 to $3 each; essentially what nice BU cents would cost.   As I sat down and reviewed the coins I found three that stood out and I eventually sent two of those off to PCGS, one graded MS66RD and one (1938-D) graded MS67RD.   The third I still have in my should I send or not pile and maybe one day I will, the point is that you should expect a very high percentage of NNC graded coins to grade much lower or; and this is the real issue; to have undisclosed issues like cleaning.    Like anything you can find a gem or two in these holders, but you will have to search through a ton of them to find those few.

1938cd-obv3.jpg

1938cd-rev3.jpg

Wow, Coinbuf....you did quite well with those NNC coins!!!  That really does seem to be the exception to the general rule.  The customers at the shop I worked at had both bought NNC Morgan Dollars.  It was almost 10 years ago now, so I cannot remember the exact grades involved, but they got absolutely killed at NGC grade-wise.  

On 9/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, Mohawk said:

Wow, Coinbuf....you did quite well with those NNC coins!!!  That really does seem to be the exception to the general rule.  The customers at the shop I worked at had both bought NNC Morgan Dollars.  It was almost 10 years ago now, so I cannot remember the exact grades involved, but they got absolutely killed at NGC grade-wise.  

Junk slabs are a treasure hunt but you really need to know how to grade the coins to have any chance to succeed.   That dealer had close to two hundred of these that I picked thru you should have seen some of the junk I rejected.   AU and spotted low end UNC's that were still graded by NNC as MS65 or better.doh!    I should take a photo of that capital holder some day, all the cents are still nice and bright BU's and look great in the display.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/9/2021 at 2:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

Junk slabs are a treasure hunt but you really need to know how to grade the coins to have any chance to succeed.   That dealer had close to two hundred of these that I picked thru you should have seen some of the junk I rejected.   AU and spotted low end UNS's that were still graded by NNC as MS65 or better.doh!    I should take a photo of that capital holder some day, all the cents are still nice and bright BU's and look great in the display.

I know I'd like to see the coins in the holder, Coinbuf.  I think a lot of us would.  And you're right.....there are treasures to be found in junk slabs, but you have to sift through a ton of garbage to find them.  

On 9/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, LDH Coins & Memorabilia said:

NNC

"NNC" seems to stand for "Not Nearly Certifiable."

Edited by RWB

I ONCE (one time only, out of hundreds) found a Franklin half UNDERGRADED by NNC, whoever they are. I cracked it out and sold it raw at a grade HIGHER than NNC had on it. It was a gorgeous piece. Bottom line: NNC is incredibly inconsistent, and the grades are given by people who have no idea what they are doing.