• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dug/Found with 1796 Silver Dollar - what is it ?

12 posts in this topic

Quite frankly, it appears to me to match closely this coin.

France: Louis XV gold Louis d'Or 1727-B MS62 NGC,.

I would refer this to the Ask NGC forum and have David Vagi take a look at it.

David Vagi, NGC Ancients Director and Finalizer, Selected 2021 Numismatist of the Year

A07799FA-1F90-4441-AE6D-CC036CD4CC71.jpeg

8111B0A6-0504-4CA6-B299-C82755B0973D.jpeg

I see the LUD D G FR etc so the lettering may be right but the image looks different. The hair and (bow in hair) look different to me.

So must be French - so on the right track. 

Its a thick heavy piece of silver.

Thank you - appreciate the info !

Would I need to repost in the NGC forum ?

DSC02824.JPG.561b4d51e2558d47acbf74b2659db395.JPG

It’s certainly not the gold coin pictured. It has the hair and bow similar to many early coins. Not like the gold coin. 

Where do you see the date? I’m not seeing it in the pictures and I’m sure I’m just missing it. Any of the letters you can make out better in hand than in the pictures? Any info would help. 

Where did you dig it? Not specifically but state? It almost makes me think of a Washington medal with the hair and bow. But I’m admittedly grasping at straws. 

A780399F-77A2-42DE-BA74-70F65A842A25.jpeg

On 9/8/2021 at 10:55 AM, DMLRet said:

I don't see a date on it. Like the gold coin it may have been on reverse and the reverse side is in bad shape.

Dug it in Philadelphia. I found it with a 1796 US Sliver Dollar.

1796_face.JPG

That’s a neat find. A flowing hair dollar. Shame it isn’t in better shape. Those are very valuable coins. 

The first one I’m pretty sure is the French coin I referenced. At that time the US was still depending heavily on foreign coins in trade.