• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1885 Morgan 'S' mint, is there something with the 'S' ???

9 posts in this topic

I just bought this morgan a few months ago to keep in my raw but nice coin album but when scanning it tonight found the 'S' mint mark sdeems to have something about it, i dont know if its a double mint mark or machine damage, what do you guys think?.

morgan s.jpg

Can you post clear front and back photos on the coin closely cropped? I can try and see if you have a VAM if you want. 

I do agree with others on the mint mark. That doesn’t look trounced it’s just take a hit. 

Edited by Woods020

On 9/6/2021 at 9:59 PM, Woods020 said:

Can you post clear front and back photos on the coin closely cropped? I can try and see if you have a VAM if you want. 

I do agree with others on the mint mark. That doesn’t look trounced it’s just take a hit. 

My microscope has 4 lights which can distort pictures but here goes...these are pictures of the main VAM areas.

vam1.jpg

vam2.jpg

vam3.jpg

vam5.jpg

tanks.jpg

On 9/6/2021 at 9:07 PM, Dark Chameleon said:

My microscope has 4 lights which can distort pictures but here goes...these are pictures of the main VAM areas.

vam1.jpg

vam2.jpg

vam3.jpg

vam5.jpg

tanks.jpg

I think you got some pictures mixed up. The obverse here is a Mercury dime. By the way I would love to see more of that one. It’s got some gnarly reed damage across the face. Very interesting. 

I don’t need microscope pics. Just good whole coin pics where they fill the screen of front and back. A cell phone is fine. 

On 9/6/2021 at 10:12 PM, Woods020 said:

I think you got some pictures mixed up. The obverse here is a Mercury dime. By the way I would love to see more of that one. It’s got some gnarly reed damage across the face. Very interesting. 

I don’t need microscope pics. Just good whole coin pics where they fill the screen of front and back. A cell phone is fine. 

Oh right...I'll take a picture tomorrow, they all locked up for tonight now..the 1945 mercury dime got this gnarly tank tracks mark across it but apart from that I think it might be a full barrel, I know thebfront is very good.

Edited by Dark Chameleon

On 9/6/2021 at 9:49 PM, Dark Chameleon said:

Oh right...I'll take a picture tomorrow, they all locked up for tonight now..the 1945 mercury dime got this gnarly tank tracks mark across it but apart from that I think it might be a full barrel, I know thebfront is very good.

Post some pics of it too. While the 45 mercury is easy to find in MS, it’s a rarity in full bands. If you have one you have something nice.