• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73d penny questions

5 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone. I ran across this today and have racked my brain trying to figure it out. I have circled the areas in question. I think I am seeing letters and numbers in these as well as a possible second earlobe southwest of the normal one. Is there anything to any of it? I have looked at several sites but found nothing remarkable listed about this variety. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank in advance.

20210905_181720.jpg

Resized_Resized_20210905_181822(2).jpeg

20210906_002302.jpg

20210905_181822.jpg

Odd73d.jpg

20210905_181813.jpg

20210905_181654.jpg

Hello RJoe.  You have a normal Lincoln Cent here.  There were not any major varieties associated with this year or mint.  There are some RPM's for this year's Denver mint but I cannot tell about the MM from your pictures, they are extremely blurry. All of your arrows and circles are pointing to nothing more than post mint damage. The green spot under LIBERTY is nothing more than corrosion on your copper Cent. I don't see anything of value here or any type of variety at all.  Basically just a well circulated penny.

Edited by GBrad

RJoe

What you are describing as extra letters and numbers simply can't happen during the striking o a coin. (With the rare exception of a dropped letter) .

The devices on a die are pemanently engraved in the striking die so these are the only letters, numbers that will show up on the coin.

What you have is just damage that is causing Pareidolia. (A term we use for seeing something that isn't there).                                                            

On 9/6/2021 at 9:08 AM, Greenstang said:

RJoe

What you are describing as extra letters and numbers simply can't happen during the striking o a coin. (With the rare exception of a dropped letter) .

The devices on a die are pemanently engraved in the striking die so these are the only letters, numbers that will show up on the coin.

What you have is just damage that is causing Pareidolia. (A term we use for seeing something that isn't there).                                                            

Greenstang nailed it, RJoe.....  you have a normal, circulated, damaged Lincoln Cent.  The kinds of things you are describing are impossible during the striking process.