• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can anyone identify this damaged $5 liberty?

4 posts in this topic

I have had this damaged coin for a few years. It was used as jewelery and when the solder was removed on the reverse it damaged the mint mark area to the point of making it impossible to see if there was a mint mark. Maybe someone can identify the mint by the rest of the coin? thanks mike smile.gifpGyhCY+u64gzZdOLxnNB9GyNCwozozhZ0180.jpgxeY7dHH77Boau3xS4Z0aBPgnPWUuZ4VT0180.jpg

I don't think it's a C, because usually the 1 in the date touches the neck. Also, I don't think it's a D, because the 2 isn't close enough to the neck. I'm by no means an expert in the series, so more experienced people's opinions would be better then mine.

I agree with PQSeated, I think this is a Philly issue. The date on the obverse is much closer to the neck line on the branch mint issues. Also, the C was fairly large, and spaced far enough from the eagle that you should see some remnant. The D was a little closer, so it's more possible, but I think this is more likely a Philly coin. Here are some pictures from coinfacts.com: 1852-C 1852-D