• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'59 Lincoln Memorial cent

14 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2021 at 10:07 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Looks to me RPM . There are known RPM for 1959-D , I included link you can look it up yourself not exactly sure which one you have 

http://www.varietyvista.com/02b LC RPMs Vol 2/RPMs 1959D.htm

I thought it maybe was rpm knowing there are a few know for the year.  i wasn't sure though because i have trouble telling the difference between RPM & double die compared to machine double. Just want see really if any one more experienced than I seen the same thing. Thank you for taking the time to look and answer. Also for the link as well im check it out in a second. 

I've been thinking about this one for a little bit, and I'm thinking machine doubling as well.  But, like Coinbuf said, definitely double check the Variety Vista link

Edited by Mohawk

I will check it out sorry i havent got that far yet i found a Mercury dime in a penny roll and got excited. I forgot what i was originally doing. But gonna go check out variety vista now. 

RPM-015 variety vista is what i matched it to. Now if that is correct or not IDK. But the die markers match best can tell. Iam new at this so chance im wrong but thats how you learn by screwin up. Cause if you never screw up then you aren't doing anything. Thanks again everyone yall been big help yet again!!

On 9/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, JAnsley said:

RPM-015 variety vista is what i matched it to

I'm going to have say this is a result of die deterioration doubling.  It looks promising but this is not an RPM.  Machine doubling would detract from the affected devices, or mint mark in this case, and cause the all too famous 'shelf like' appearance. The original D mint mark is completely intact, best I can see from your pic, yet there is an outline of another D that we can see.  The original D mint mark does not look like it has been detracted from, or 'cut into', therefore I don't believe it is MD, but it is die deterioration doubling.  

Die Deterioration Doubling (DDD) will, for the most part, affect the devices in a fashion that shows in an outwards manner, or towards, the rim of the coin. I can see this in your pics in the letters of IGWT which also exhibit this same issue in particular the G and O of GOD, the E of WE and the R in TRUST which show the deterioration going towards the rim of the coin. 

When comparing possible doubled dies, RPM's, etc..... with the pics supplied online from numerous reputable websites, look at the mint mark position in relation to the date.  This is one of the best key factors in matching a coin to a known example. Your coin is not RPM-015 because the mint mark position, in relation to the date, is not in the same position. Hope this helps.

When id ask my question i should of illustrated it i reckon. Black arrow in attached photo is not what i was ask about i know that is nothing. The white arrows is what i was basing my question on. So its not rpm i get that but what it that the red arrow is pointing to?? Is it just partly grease filled die or im i just seeing stuff thats not even there??

Screenshot_20210903-092303.png

On 9/3/2021 at 4:32 AM, Jason Abshier said:

The good old machine doubling always tricks my eyes when looking at a tiny mint mark 

6DB90E76-E72F-4470-B8FC-7E367E3ED748.jpeg

Jason thank you very much for that photo that helps my understanding of machine doubling versus hub doubling for sure. Now i just gotta get my understanding of RPM versus nothing really there down 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, JAnsley said:

RPM-015 variety vista is what i matched it to. Now if that is correct or not IDK. But the die markers match best can tell. Iam new at this so chance im wrong but thats how you learn by screwin up. Cause if you never screw up then you aren't doing anything. Thanks again everyone yall been big help yet again!!

Remember that it is possible to have both MD and an RPM together; so while it does somewhat resemble RPM-015 the placement of the MM does not look correct from your photo in the op.   In your photo the MM looks tilted and closer to the 9 and 5; and on VV it looks flat and slightly lower.   However that photo was taken with the coin in the 2X2 and the plastic window may be altering the way it looks in the photo.   Also due to the glare in the photo I cannot confirm if there are the die scratches pup to match up with RPM-015.   Knowing that there is MD for sure and not being able to line up the MM position from your photo or confirm the die line pup I'm still going with just MD; but you have the coin in hand so its your call.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

Remember that it is possible to have both MD and an RPM together; so while it does somewhat resemble RPM-015 the placement of the MM does not look correct from your photo in the op.   In your photo the MM looks tilted and closer to the 9 and 5; and on VV it looks flat and slightly lower.   However that photo was taken with the coin in the 2X2 and the plastic window may be altering the way it looks in the photo.   Also due to the glare in the photo I cannot confirm if there are the die scratches pup to match up with RPM-015.   Knowing that there is MD for sure and not being able to line up the MM position from your photo or confirm the die line pup I'm still going with just MD; but you have the coin in hand so its your call.

I will post pics of it out of the 2x2 so that they are more clear and you can get a better look. I have really bad eyes so its hard for me the see the die markers to tell anything for sure. That is if you dont mind taken a look at it for me if i get you the better photos