• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-damaged smooth edge quarter

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 P Massachusetts quarter that has a Smooth edge and I can’t figure out if it is a mint error, or somehow somebody smoothed it out. The pictures are not the greatest but the last one shows in comparison to a regular quarter. I was just really hoping somebody could give me some insight on whether this would be worth anything or not.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome, what we call a spoon coin or a dryer coin, spoon a quarter around the edges to make a ring. Mostly done with silver quarters. Or tumbled around in a dryer for a bit will do stuff like that also.

Edited by J P Mashoke

Modern coins are struck inside a movable collar, which aligns the coin with the dies, insures consistent shape and diameter, and in this case, imparts reeding to the edge of the coin. Had your coin been somehow struck without the collar in position, an error known as a broadstrike, it would likely be slightly larger than normal, possibly a bit off-center, and would not have any trace of reeding. Yours was struck normally, then had most of the reeding removed. It is damaged.

As for worth, it is only worth 25 cents when used over the counter. It probably would be rejected by a vending machine.

Looks pretty cool, though.