• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One more try on a possible Improperly Annealed Planchet...... and then I give up.....

5 posts in this topic

Going through some bank rolls and this one stood out to me.  I think this is the 3rd post for me regarding what I 'think', from my own research, is a possible IA planchet flaw (I give up after this one).  I've seen my fair share of metal detecting finds, environmental damage, toning, etc...... but I am on the fence with this one and don't believe it is any of the former.  It weighs 5.55 grams on a calibrated scale. The silver edge, or this part of the clad layer, is a decent shiny color apart from the obverse and reverse color, and I am simply seeing what appears to be outright copper showing on both sides. I took some pics at an angle to show the copper color and then overhead pics to show the off-color of the coin.  Another observation is that the coin is in pretty darn good shape for its age, a good strike with extremely minimal wear if any at all, so that would rule out the lighter weight discrepancy from it being circulation wear IMO.  I know it's not worth a house note even if it is an IA planchet but I'm almost heck bent on finding one...... Thanks!IMG_2125.jpg.c8d3bcf7677296c97b7535b743caa34b.jpgIMG_2139.jpg.dd91cd5a35f85e0580902db9adcbea28.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2118.JPG

Edited by GBrad

Maybe, but as your coin has been in circulation it is much more difficult to tell.   Here is a link to a discussion from coin talk where Fred Weinberg describes how to tell a true improper annealed coin from simple environmentally damage.   IA discussion  From that link I am leaning not for your coin because of the "look" of the coin; but again that may be due to the circulation wear.

Edited to add:  I am far from an expert on this so my thoughts should not be considered as gospel, perhaps if you can you might attempt to reach out to Fred and see if he is willing to review your photos.   I do not know if he will but it would not hurt to ask.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/1/2021 at 4:41 PM, Coinbuf said:

Maybe, but as your coin has been in circulation it is much more difficult to tell.   Here is a link to a discussion from coin talk where Fred Weinberg describes how to tell a true improper annealed coin from simple environmentally damage.   IA discussion  From that link I am leaning not for your coin because of the "look" of the coin; but again that may be due to the circulation wear.

Edited to add:  I am far from an expert on this so my thoughts should not be considered as gospel, perhaps if you can you might attempt to reach out to Fred and see if he is willing to review your photos.   I do not know if he will but it would not hurt to ask.

Thank you Coinbuf for your reply.  I agree that being the age of the coin may be a bit more difficult to confirm since it's not one of those really prominent sintered planchets that I have observed while researching.  That's the reason I said I was "on the fence" about this one because it is an older coin (nowhere near as old as me though :)) but it just struck me as a bit odd with its uniform color from looking straight on but once tilted you can clearly see the color of copper. Being that it is not a very worn coin at all..... well..... that's all the more reason I posted it.  You guys know me by now and I feel I am "lightyears ahead" of the ballgame from whence I started on this forum.  I owe a tremendous amount to people like yourself Chris, as well as many many many others that got me to where I am today whom I would mention but I am afraid I would leave someone out but you guys know who you are! (thumbsu (ok.... I'm getting emotional now..... time to stop and go take my nightly meds....).  

I have looked at a lot of Fred Weinberg's info, and Mike Diamond's too, regarding IA planchets.  I haven't clicked on your link you supplied but I definitely will in just a moment.  I know these errors can be very hard to distinguish due to numerous variables that affect the surfaces of coins both pre-strike and, more often so, post-strike.  I will see if I can get anywhere with Fred about looking at my pics.  I'm not betting on it but it would be neat to have finally found one.  Thanks!

On 9/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Hey Brad. I was looking and thinking 🤔 and finally went with good ole sifering. Swimming pool acid ( Muratic?) can’t spell. Chemical spills on metals do some strange things. Just a thought but the surface is goofy. Thanks James 🤓🙀

Hey James. Yeah, I agree about the surfaces being different. But... This coin is in really good condition and I don't see any evidence at all of acid being applied to this quarter. Anything is definitely a possibility but I really believe I have to rule this out brother.  The discoloration of the coin is just way too consistent on both the obverse and reverse and the edge and reeding is not affected in any way at all, all the way around its circumference, and the edge clad layer is as shiny as possibly despite the age of this coin. All of the devices are also just way too nice looking IMO to have been tampered with. One last thing, which to me is odd, is that you can't see the copper hue looking straight down on the surfaces.  Only when viewed at a slight angle does the copper color appear and it is consistent as well on both sides. My theory is this: It may very well have been an IA planchet at the time is was struck at which point both sides were a nice copper color.  Over time, the surfaces took on the elements and have now formed a slight patina on the copper surfaces which now can only be seen when viewed at an angle.  I'm not a scientist here but to me this is a plausible scenario...... hm  Who knows..... 

Edited by GBrad