• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown token or coin??

12 posts in this topic

Im not really sure if I've post this here already but i dont think so. Anyhow when my granny past and i inherited her collection i found this token as i call it. I have been able to obtain this about it (ユニオ(unio)) but nothing else and hopeing some one here may can shine a little light on it for me.

weight- 5.1 grams
diameter- 24.81 mm
thickness 1.45mm
Composition- unknown 

20210829_020154~2.jpg

20210829_020205~2.jpg

On 9/1/2021 at 1:46 AM, JAnsley said:

Im not really sure if I've post this here already but i dont think so. Anyhow when my granny past and i inherited her collection i found this token as i call it. I have been able to obtain this about it (ユニオ(unio)) but nothing else and hopeing some one here may can shine a little light on it for me.

weight- 5.1 grams
diameter- 24.81 mm
thickness 1.45mm
Composition- unknown 

20210829_020154~2.jpg

20210829_020205~2.jpg

I'm guessing but I'm leaning towards a Aviation union token/coin.
Was she or another older family member by chance have a job related to Aviation ?

aviationUnionButton.JPG

On 9/1/2021 at 11:01 AM, EdG_Ohio said:

I'm guessing but I'm leaning towards a Aviation union token/coin.
Was she or another older family member by chance have a job related to Aviation ?

aviationUnionButton.JPG

My papa (her ex husband) used to do aerial photography. Other than that no flyers in the family that im aware of. 

On 9/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, Conder101 said:

Japanese arcade token, for pachinko machines.

Thanks Conder!! Now could you tell me what is Pachinko? Never heard of it is it like kino? Also if you dont mind me asking how did you know this? Ive not been able to find anything after looking for several years.. Anyway im grateful you did know!!

Edited by JAnsley

I think the picture of the side with the Japanese text is upside down, I believe the lettering should be oriented like this ユニオン. I think.

I'm not sure how Conder ID'd it, but that is as good as it gets. I took a quick look yesterday and struck out.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:51 AM, JAnsley said:

Now could you tell me what is Pachinko? Never heard of it is it like kino?

I believe it is a relative of  PLINKO...... (if anyone remembers "The Price Is Right" game....) Ok..... I couldn't resist:facepalm:, we still like to have fun here on the forum.... totally kidding and I too would like to know how @Conder101 knows these things!  He's a pretty smart cookie when it comes to these type issues.  

Edited by GBrad

I've seen other similar tokens on the various forums before identified as Pachinko tokens.  Pachinko machines are a Japanese gambling machine that work kind of like a vertical pinball machine that uses ball bearings  For a token operated machine you would buy the tokens from the arcade proprietor and put them in the machine.  Each token would be worth a given number of balls.  You then play the game and there is the possibility of winning more balls.  When you decide you are done you empty out the balls and and are paid off for the number of balls you turn in.  If you turn in more balls than the tokens purchased you win. Here a youtube video that shows the operation of a Star wars Pachinko machine with and explanation of how the gambling system works.

Pachinko parlors are apparently very popular in Japan, I would assume that most parlors have their own tokens but size seems to be pretty much standard and tokens from one parlor would work at others.  Similar to video arcade tokens here in the US.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:32 PM, Conder101 said:

I've seen other similar tokens on the various forums before identified as Pachinko tokens.  Pachinko machines are a Japanese gambling machine that work kind of like a vertical pinball machine that uses ball bearings  For a token operated machine you would buy the tokens from the arcade proprietor and put them in the machine.  Each token would be worth a given number of balls.  You then play the game and there is the possibility of winning more balls.  When you decide you are done you empty out the balls and and are paid off for the number of balls you turn in.  If you turn in more balls than the tokens purchased you win. Here a youtube video that shows the operation of a Star wars Pachinko machine with and explanation of how the gambling system works.

Pachinko parlors are apparently very popular in Japan, I would assume that most parlors have their own tokens but size seems to be pretty much standard and tokens from one parlor would work at others.  Similar to video arcade tokens here in the US.

Conder thanks for sharing the video that's that's pretty neat it's interesting I've never heard of that.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:32 PM, Conder101 said:

And when you’ve lost all your balls, you can no longer have children. Oh wait, if you’re playing that much pachinko, you don’t even much associate with females, right?