• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albania & Haiti Uniface Obverse Die Impressions

13 posts in this topic

Here is something that you don't encounter every day. 

The actual commemorative coins were struck in silver. These are uniface obverse die impressions struck in aluminum. These 6 "coins" were in a holder from the Italcambio mint, presumably used to show prospective buyers of the coins what they would look like.

The first 3 are 1968 Albania 500th Anniversary of Skanderbeg's Death set of 5 / 10 / 25 Lekë. The last 3 are 1968 Haiti 10th Anniversary of Revolution set of 5 / 10 / 25 Gourdes.

I have no idea how many of these were made, but probably only a handful. I've encountered the Albania once before, but never see the Haiti set before. 

42634688.thumb.jpg.2d1b5a93cd9e28b15cb26f4e7d459754.jpg

42634689.thumb.jpg.8b892e94bd5a06e91a4ffe8d7bf1e0fc.jpg

42634690.thumb.jpg.2b2171b1a809b549b19dce2ea78cd610.jpg

42634691.thumb.jpg.dcde8cb182671cc42116d73c2f5bfeb4.jpg

42634692.thumb.jpg.ac960e97181d18aab106ad915106f1ed.jpg

42634693.thumb.jpg.de46bfe70f8be65ef69ef7acf810da38.jpg

These appear to have been made with a face die and a "backing die" similar to an embossing die. That accounts for the detail.

I don't recall ever having seen one of these before. A few questions:

Comparing the shadows, it looks like the "reverse" is incuse. Correct?

Since there are no denticles on the "reverse," I assume that it (the die) was not made by pressing  the obverse die into the "reverse" die to give it the backwards impression (or vice versa). Any idea how it was made?

I notice a difference in the surfaces of the two sides. Is the planchet polished on one side, or is only the obverse die polished?

You said these were all together in a mint holder. Are they now in individual holders? Did you have them graded? If so, what was your reason, and why did you choose PCGS? 

An embossing die is a mirror of the obverse relief, but with less detail. Using this avoids large metal movement and therefor requires little pressure to bring up the design. It is intended to create an obverse of optimum detail without stressing a production die (or using a soft testing die of brass).

On 8/27/2021 at 6:16 AM, Just Bob said:

Comparing the shadows, it looks like the "reverse" is incuse. Correct?

Yes, the backside is an incuse impression of the obverse.

I notice a difference in the surfaces of the two sides. Is the planchet polished on one side, or is only the obverse die polished?

I looked at one and do not see any die polish on either side. The obverse does appear more flashy, while the reverse is more matte.

You said these were all together in a mint holder. Are they now in individual holders? Did you have them graded? If so, what was your reason, and why did you choose PCGS? 

Yes, they were sealed in a cardboard and plastic holder. It was nothing special. I removed them and had them graded. I didn't want to leave them in the holder which was made from soft plastic (PVC) that was pressing against the entire front surface of the coins. I used PCGS because I find that they are much more willing to put something unusual like this in a slab and I like their pictures better. They are all in individual slabs. 

On 8/27/2021 at 5:04 PM, gmarguli said:

Yes, the backside is an incuse impression of the obverse.

I looked at one and do not see any die polish on either side. The obverse does appear more flashy, while the reverse is more matte.

Yes, they were sealed in a cardboard and plastic holder. It was nothing special. I removed them and had them graded. I didn't want to leave them in the holder which was made from soft plastic (PVC) that was pressing against the entire front surface of the coins. I used PCGS because I find that they are much more willing to put something unusual like this in a slab and I like their pictures better. They are all in individual slabs. 

Thanks, Greg. You seem to have a knack for locating very interesting and rare pieces. These are no exception. (thumbsu

On 8/27/2021 at 9:16 AM, Just Bob said:

If so, what was your reason, and why did you choose PCGS? 

I used then about a year ago to slab a cat I ran over with the car. They do, indeed, have flexible policies.

On 8/27/2021 at 6:01 PM, RWB said:

I used then about a year ago to slab a cat I ran over with the car. They do, indeed, have flexible policies.

What was the grade?

On 8/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, Just Bob said:

What was the grade?

Graded "VF" = "Very Flat."

If I'd been driving a truck I might have gotten a solid "EF" - "Extremely Flat."

Edited by RWB

On 8/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, RWB said:

These appear to have been made with a face die and a "backing die" similar to an embossing die. That accounts for the detail

Struck between a die and a hub possibly?

On 9/1/2021 at 1:44 PM, Conder101 said:

Struck between a die and a hub possibly?

Insufficient detail for that.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:33 PM, gmarguli said:

Here is something that you don't encounter every day.... 

...The last 3 are 1968 Haiti 10th Anniversary of Revolution set of 5 / 10 / 25 Gourdes.

42634691.thumb.jpg.dcde8cb182671cc42116d73c2f5bfeb4.jpg

42634692.thumb.jpg.ac960e97181d18aab106ad915106f1ed.jpg

42634693.thumb.jpg.de46bfe70f8be65ef69ef7acf810da38.jpg

@gmarguli

A bit of off-peak levity

🐓 :  You must be out of your mind!  Have you any idea to whom you are addressing your comments???

Q.A.: I do, but I would be remiss in my duty as a responsible fellow member if I failed to bring to his attention, as well as those lurking about, that the reason why the above depicted coins are rarely encountered is because they were not minted to commemorate an event that never occurred.  The Haitian Revolution took place between August 21, 1791 and January 1, 1804.  Now it is possible these coins -- with dates referring only to Columbus' "discovery," Louverture and one with no date given -- were minted,  undenominated, [for whatever descriptor PCGS used on its slab] but a 1968 Proof set consisting of three silver gourdes of various denominations  was housed in a quality red leather case with a velour interior.

Interestingly enough, there was an attempted coup d'etat in Haiti 🇭🇹 against the "Papa Doc" Duvalier regime in July 1958, 10 years earlier, which consisted of 8 men, five of whom were American mercenaries, including a sheriff's deputy from Miami, Dade County, which failed miserably when anticipated support from the Haitians failed to materialize. From that point on, internal security matters for the dictator were handled by the notorious "Tonton Macoutes." 

To @gmarguli's credit, had he omitted the word Revolution, I very likely would not have investigated the matter further...  So, how'd I do?

🐓:  Fine, boss.  😉