• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get a 2021 Monster Box?

35 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2021 at 2:41 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Meanwhile at NGC , those poor graders and the boring monster boxes of ASE sent in for grading every year ! 

394BD9D2-A902-426B-B236-56383ED70C26.png

So, so TRUE!!! I cannot think of a more boring coin related activity than grading box after box of Silver Eagles!!! It would be HORRIBLE!!

That's probably how the newer graders pay their dues. "Here are another ten monster boxes. Keep up the good work, and you'll eventually graduate to actual collectible coins." Sort of how on cattle drives the new guy typically had to ride drag, eating buckets of dust kicked up by hundreds or thousands of steers. Or how in the army, the newest second lieutenant in the company gets to take over as office supply officer, VD control officer, company area beautification officer, dad joke officer, office officer, domestic tranquility officer, Toys 4 Bots fundraising officer, and so on. Until someone more junior comes along and gets to enjoy all of the above.

They probably installed cameras at each graders work station they better be looking at each coin too with their eyes open , And not taking handfuls at a time saying they are all 69s and 1 is a 70 grade. Otherwise A blind man could of graded the whole monster box that way just pull out 20 of them and say they are 70s and rest are 69s pass the box onto holding for few weeks then the poor dude that has make all painstakingly labels and cert numbers for each coin and slabbing as well tedious job I wouldn’t want to do 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 8/20/2021 at 3:12 PM, JKK said:

That's probably how the newer graders pay their dues. "Here are another ten monster boxes. Keep up the good work, and you'll eventually graduate to actual collectible coins." Sort of how on cattle drives the new guy typically had to ride drag, eating buckets of dust kicked up by hundreds or thousands of steers. Or how in the army, the newest second lieutenant in the company gets to take over as office supply officer, VD control officer, company area beautification officer, dad joke officer, office officer, domestic tranquility officer, Toys 4 Bots fundraising officer, and so on. Until someone more junior comes along and gets to enjoy all of the above.

Man, I don't think I could last long enough to get kicked up the ladder in that situation.......I cannot think of a "coin" I find more boring than the silver eagle.  Having to sell the damned things raw when I was at the brick and mortar was bad enough, but at least I got to see and handle other, much cooler coins. Grading boxes of silver eagles (or gold eagles for that matter of fact) all day would be HORRIBLE!! And I sell moderns!! There are good modern coins, but eagles are not those. Eagles are lumps of metal struck with a design and a weight for the purpose of being lumps of metal that people hoard.

Edited by Mohawk