• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A biased look at what is taking the pleasure out of coin collecting.
1 1

66 posts in this topic

T'io - door  z-oy-s guy-zel'

Theodor Seuss Geisel

Edited by RWB

On 8/19/2021 at 9:57 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

In the 1960's, the only information we would get on coins would be from calling fellow collectors....going to the LCS and chewing the ear off the owner.....going to a local coin club or coin show.

The internet has some bad actors, but by and large it keeps many of us engaged.  I doubt I would be a serious collector without what I have learned about numismatics and gold coins and Saints/Liberty's/etc. from the internet and more seasoned pros. (thumbsu

Wow, VERY hard to wrap my brain around that. As an educational (implies GOOD information) tool, to me, the Internet is a sewer when compared with nearly ANY coin show or coin club. 

Not to mention “dead tree” books. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/19/2021 at 7:30 PM, VKurtB said:

Wow, VERY hard to wrap my brain around that. As an educational (implies GOOD information) tool, to me, the Internet is a sewer when compared with nearly ANY coin show or coin club. Not to mention “dead tree” books. 

For some things, maybe.

For continuing discussion....Q&A....back-and-forth banter....you can't beat the internet.  This is especially true for more obscure series or patterns. 

On 8/19/2021 at 7:25 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

For some things, maybe.

For continuing discussion....Q&A....back-and-forth banter....you can't beat the internet.  This is especially true for more obscure series or patterns. 

That depends on one’s willingness to engage with a speaker, a willingness I have in huge abundance. 

On 8/19/2021 at 6:29 PM, RWB said:

T'io - door  z-oy-s guy-zel'

Theodor Seuss Geisel

I have mispronounced this guy's name -- yes, I am aware he is deceased -- my entire life!