• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying ancient currency

11 posts in this topic

It looks like a casting sprue on the top and casting seems sticking out from the edges.  The details are mushy and washed out.  The fabric and texture isn't close to what you would see on a die struck coin.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, Oldhoopster said:

It looks like a casting sprue on the top and casting seems sticking out from the edges.  The details are mushy and washed out.  The fabric and texture isn't close to what you would see on a die struck coin.

I agree. I don't think this is a counterfeit that was intended to fool anyone. There was no attempt to even clean up the edges. It looks like something one would find at a gift shop or souvenir stand.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:47 AM, Oldhoopster said:

It's Greek.  Athenian tetradrachm. Unfortunately, yours looks like a cast copy. 

I dont believe that this is a counterfeit from the research ive done. Avg weight per drachma shows 4.3 g. Well this would be 2 drachma considering it weighs 8.6 g. 

16287736320704547762133038988202.jpg

16287739493241389374457132410086.jpg

I also believe it's a cast counterfeit. Whether it's silver is a different question, but not a very important one.

Hi welcome. There’s a thin lip around the edges that is from casting. Hope you have found a valuable treasure but it seems most here ( and there’s some very very knowledgeable folks here) think otherwise. It’s ok the more you learn the better you get at spotting real from reproductions🤓🙀

I agree with Bob, Jonathan, Roger and Oldhoopster......you have a cast counterfeit of an Athenian Tetradrachm.  It's probably a souvenir coin.  In countries that were part of the Roman Empire or other ancient civilizations, it's pretty common to see copies of ancient coins being sold to tourists.  My parents lived in Turkey for almost four years and tons of these kinds of fakes were on sale at almost every tourist site they went to when they lived there.