• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How some of the gold bug stacks are built.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

This little BBC video will give gold bugs and others a clearer view of how some of their "precious metal" is mined and the local impacts of the work. Enjoy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-africa-52324363

Image1.jpg

The illegal gold mines killing rivers and livelihoods in Ghana. Sixty percent of Ghana’s water bodies are now polluted, largely due to illegal mining activities.

Ghana is the leading producer of gold in Africa and about 35% of it is extracted by small-scale miners, most of them operating illegally.

Edited by RWB

A more automated version of gold amalgamation is described and illustrated in my book "From Mine to Mint." When used for silver it is called the 'patio process.' Horses lasted only a few months; men a little longer from mercury poisoning.

During my interest, and doing, of AU prospecting you learned that we didn't treat out own waterways and natural resources with the respect they deserved either. Our forefathers pretty much raped the land as they saw fit. To this day dredging, even with small dredgers, it is illegal to use due to the fact it will release the mercury back the flow of the water where before it was either buried and/or adhering to the rocks and sediments and caused minimal effects to the population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_contamination_in_California_waterways

On 8/12/2021 at 2:38 PM, RWB said:

Are you saying that French Roosters are something to crow about?

[Charming sense of humor. You brighten up my day.:)]

On 8/12/2021 at 2:46 PM, RWB said:

3f03865v.thumb.jpg.27086e7ea6bef89eb30506831b9eb937.jpg

Ooh la la!  My wife got a big kick out of this exceptional ephemera made all the more interesting by the date featured on the coin.  To my knowledge, the series was officially ended a year earlier, in 1914, but 🐓 dated 1915 are rumored to exist. Great stuff!