• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Director Pollock's Resignation
1 1

10 posts in this topic

James Pollock, former governor of Pennsylvania, was mint director from 1861 through October 1, 1866. He resigned under pressure from President Johnson, and his previously unpublished letter to the President helps to make clear both his background and reasons for the decision. When reappointed in 1869 by President Grant, Pollock fired nearly all employees who had been pointed by Johnson during the terms of directors Millward and Linderman.

Mint of the United States

Philadelphia

September 14, 1866

His Excellency Andrew Johnson,

President of the United States

Sir:

I hereby tender to you my resignation of the office of Director of the United States Mint, which I hold under the appointment and commission of our late and ever to be lamented President, Abraham Lincoln.

I cannot approve your “Policy,” as defined by yourself in your late public speeches, and practically illustrated in deeds of violence and blood by its advocates and defenders in Memphis, New Orleans, and elsewhere. I cordially and unhesitatingly approve of the Constitutional amendment proposed by Congress.

They embody the true policy of reconstruction – are just and more magnanimous than treason had any right to expect or in justice to demand. Their adoption, in my opinion, would at once restore harmony and peace to every section of our country. I desire the earliest possible reconstruction of the Union, upon the basis of truth, honor, justice, liberty, and equality.

This will be done, and I will labor earnestly for its accomplishment; but in the name of the patriot dead of the late war, and the living and loyal millions who then stood and still stand by the nation’s flag, I protest against giving to the late rebellious States a premium for treason and rebellion by increasing their political power, or granting to unrepenting Rebels the right to make laws for their antagonists; to govern the true friends of the Union, whilst in their hate of freedom they disregard the rights of emancipated millions, and deny to the loyal citizens of the United States the ordinary privileges of American citizenship.

I cannot sacrifice my manhood for office, not will I approve, under any circumstances, that which every sentiment and feeling of my heart condemn. I regret the necessity that compels me to address you thus. I could say more; I can say no less. Longer silence would be dishonor.

I will delay sending this until your return to Washington.

Very respectfully yours,

James Pollock

Edited by RWB

Pollock sent an advance copy to the Treasury Secretary, and newspapers in Philadelphia, New York and Washington. It was a small salvo in the conflict between Johnson and radical Rs in Congress. The official war had ended, but conflict continued in southern cities and border states. Bands of Confederate soldiers took to banditry, and vigilante groups routinely murdered anyone advocating equal rights for all - including the newly emancipated. Johnson wanted rebellious states seated in Congress as quickly as possible. The radicals wanted a restoration of civil, economic and political order before that. Constitutional Amendments #14 and #15 were a means of legally guaranteeing rights even though almost impossible to implement on the practical level. (See New Orleans Massacre of July 1866 and Memphis May 1866 for more information; also the Reconstruction Acts.)

Following Grant's inauguration in 1869, Pollock was reappointed as replacement for Dr H R Linderman. The whole spoils system of politicizing everything including government employment only made matters worse.

Edited by RWB

I read these words from a individual of the past and cannot begin to appreciate their tenacity and honor of the words spoken here.
"I cannot sacrifice my manhood for office, not will I approve, under any circumstances, that which every sentiment and feeling of my heart condemn. I regret the necessity that compels me to address you thus. I could say more; I can say no less. Longer silence would be dishonor."

The world, as a whole, needs more of this than ever.

For those who want to pursue the underlying subjects, I suggest reading materials on the "Crittenden Compromise" of 1861.

It's interesting that Pollock, who was deeply, almost perversely religious, had no qualms about profiteering for producing and selling pattern pieces and novodels. (It was Pollock, not Sec. Chase, who pushed a religious motto on coins.)

I would be curious to know when IN GOD WE TRUST first began appearing in court houses above the judges' benches and who was responsible for suggesting that.  I have to admit I always liked it as displayed on the two-cent piece.  (It was the final question on the TV show, "Who Wants to be a Millionnaire," but none of the contestants got it.)

There is no "when." Religious mottoes have been around as long as people. Public display - about the same. (My opinion about IGWT is that it is better balanced than God Our Trust on a three-section ribbon Longacre preferred. GOT had three character groups each with 3 - 3 - 5 letters. IGWT also has three character groups but arranged 5 - 3 - 5, the latter being a better visual balance than GOT.) In any case, it appears that Sec Chase chose IGWT only for the new 2-cent coin when he selected the shield versus Washington portrait for the coin. It was a year later before it became a more general statement.

I respectfully request the response given be stricken from the record in its entirety.  Kindly address the matter raised in the opening line of the comment. 

Anyone?

On 7/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I would be curious to know when IN GOD WE TRUST first began appearing in court houses above the judges' benches and who was responsible for suggesting that.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:12 PM, RWB said:

There is no "when."

...or what or who; millions of individual and community decisions over thousands of years.