• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Half Barber 1896 - Without Half Dollar

13 posts in this topic

Dear friends, I have an 1896 barber Half Dollar without the Half Dollar inscription. The weight and size of the coin check, it seems to be authentic. Is it some minting error? It's common? Thank you! Best regards, Diego Guarnaschelli

It could be a mint error, such as a "struck-through," but it also could be damaged. Can you post a picture? That might help us tell what is going on.

Very difficult to say for sure it does look odd, it might be a counterfeit or it may just have been altered to remove what was under the eagle on the reverse.   It may have been a novelty piece and the area on the reverse that looks altered could have had the word copy there which was removed in an attempt to pass it off as real.   As you say the size and weight are correct then my best guess is the half dollar lettering was removed in an attempt to pass it off as a higher denomination, just one of any number of possible theories on what happed to this coin.  I doubt very much that the coin was in this condition when it left the mint and has been altered. 

On 7/20/2021 at 12:31 PM, Diemguarns said:

What do You mean with “beat up coin”?

The rims have numerous cuts and indents from damage. To get that way, the coin had to have been abused in circulation. The faces would have acquired similar damage. The faces were then smoothed over to look better.

Edited by RWB