• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Census VS Slab. SP or PR?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Most of time I see “SP” specimen used in graded world coins or exonumia (medals) and off struck metal die trial pieces get “SP” . Looks like PCGS made a typo error … 

I also have one US issued 2016-W gold Mercury dime has that “SP” 70 grade by NGC 

My feeling is the grade assigned to a World coin must conform to the Grading Scale or Standard used by NGC's European office as accepted and  adopted by that country.  "SP" means different things in different countries.  If your curiosity gets the better of you, I believe directing your simple inquiry for clarification is best directed to the source: NGC, the third-party grader in Europe who likely encapsulated your high-grade coin. Good luck!

Is the following an SP coin?

a) NOT struck on a production press.

b) Struck on a vertical press usually used for proof coins.

c) The dies are NOT specially polished, but are very often changed and have full details.

d) The coin was struck FOUR times, not one, two or three.

e) The planchets were hand fed one by one into the press.

f) These coins have not, to date, been graded as SP coins by NGC nor by PCGS.

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB. According to your 7/10/2020 dispatch (found in the column, "French 20-franc gold roosters,") with an ominous reference to anvils and "severed fingers," you were referring to lingo used in the U.K.