• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you completed a mini set of coins
1 1

53 posts in this topic

So I see the “logic” (?) of two as a minimum for a mini set. But what is a reasonable upper limit? How many is too many to be mini? I’ve completed some ginormous sets, hundreds of coins, and I know they’re out. But what about a set between about 15-20 or so?

Edited by VKurtB

Ok stop it. Geez. Give, present ,award ,stop nit picking. Dang. 2 states entered into the union in 1959. 2 coins tokens whatever were minted   Also what your seeing my friend VKurtB is not only the rabbit hole syndrome but the “gunna own somebody,anybody especially if it’s for no particular reason other than meanness. Truly ashame. 

On 7/15/2021 at 7:02 PM, VKurtB said:

So I see the “logic” (?) of two as a minimum for a mini set. But what is a reasonable upper limit? How many is too many to be mini? I’ve completed some ginormous sets, hundreds of coins, and I know they’re out. But what about a set between about 15-20 or so?

Posed this question to my associate and he suggested something like a short set of ase’s example:  2017 S proof to current. They run in a row. Addition of earlier ase’s S mint mark proofs  will complete set     Simple things like that. Maybe just reverse proof ase’s. Maybe reverse proof innovation dollars. Pre 1982 pennies back to first Lincoln memorial reverse. 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:02 PM, VKurtB said:

But what about a set between about 15-20 or so?

Like Olive Oyl  [of Popeye the Sailor Man] would say: "That's me all over!"

As I believe I've made abundantly clear to all on this Forum (to the point of irritation and nausea) 🐓 collectors refer to the easier of the 16-coins to collect -- "restrikes" in the U.S.; "redistributed" in France 🇫🇷 (1907-1914) --  as the "short set."  The earlier, more difficult to find coins (1899-1906) are referred to as the "originals," minted and distributed during the years displayed on the coins.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Wrong bracket used.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Posed this question to my associate and he suggested something like a short set of ase’s example:  2017 S proof to current. They run in a row. Addition of earlier ase’s S mint mark proofs  will complete set     Simple things like that. Maybe just reverse proof ase’s. Maybe reverse proof innovation dollars. Pre 1982 pennies back to first Lincoln memorial reverse. 

Covers a lot of possibilities. 

On 7/16/2021 at 6:55 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Like Olive Oyl  [of Popeye the Sailor Man] would say: "That's me all over!"

As I believe I've made abundantly clear to all on this Forum (to the point of irritation and nausea) 🐓 collectors refer to the easier of the 16-coins to collect -- "restrikes" in the U.S.; "redistributed" in France 🇫🇷 (1907-1914) --  as the "short set."  The earlier, more difficult to find coins (1899-1906) are referred to as the "originals," minted and distributed during the years displayed on the coins.

I was thinking of you when I asked. The U.S. modern equivalent is the SBA set. By the way, I see MegaRed Volume 7 recognizes an SBA dollar variety that I hadn’t seen discussed before anywhere - a 1980-S proof with a repunched mint mark. Did I miss it before, or is this a new one to find?

Forgot to say also I got the Pride of 2 nations set. I think I showed it on another thread but here it is again. I love this set. Was thinking about trying to get the same 2 coins again released by Canada but what's the use. It's in NGCs set registry. I done have the American released ones. Rather spend my money on trying to complete my Washington quarter run. Polish_20210716_220230394.thumb.jpg.74db3ac5c3a18659f9c5e3cf2d62d8ca.jpg

On 7/16/2021 at 10:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Forgot to say also I got the Pride of 2 nations set. I think I showed it on another thread but here it is again. I love this set. Was thinking about trying to get the same 2 coins again released by Canada but what's the use. It's in NGCs set registry. I done have the American released ones. Rather spend my money on trying to complete my Washington quarter run. Polish_20210716_220230394.thumb.jpg.74db3ac5c3a18659f9c5e3cf2d62d8ca.jpg

What do they mean by Modified Proof on the Canada coin? I could probably look it up but I like making conversation. I enjoy talking to all of you all. I've learned a whole lot on here. I really appreciate all the knowledge everyone has shared with me. 

On 7/15/2021 at 7:02 PM, VKurtB said:

On 7/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

If you like the looks of these you are not alone. We flipped when we saw the eagle especially. We picked up 2012-&-2013 2coin ase sets. They go by on eBay fairly reasonably inexpensive and wow the coins are really beautiful. 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:05 PM, VKurtB said:

By the way, I see MegaRed Volume 7 recognizes an SBA dollar variety that I hadn’t seen discussed before anywhere - a 1980-S proof with a repunched mint mark. Did I miss it before, or is this a new one to find?

Huh, I had not heard of this either but apparently this RPM has been known for sometime having been noted by Bowers. It's not currently recognized by the major TPGs and is supposedly rare. I've added it to my mental want list and I'll be keeping any eye out for it now.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:38 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Huh, I had not heard of this either but apparently this RPM has been known for sometime having been noted by Bowers. It's not currently recognized by the major TPGs and is supposedly rare. I've added it to my mental want list and I'll be keeping any eye out for it now.

So what are we are looking for Mike? This is a 1980 Proof set SBA, This is as close as I can get with the scope most mint marks on proofs look bad anyway lol and this is still keeping with the thread I have 79,80 and 81 as a mini collection because of the different mint marks for all 3 years ;)

S20210717_0003.jpg

On 7/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, J P Mashoke said:

So what are we are looking for Mike? This is a 1980 Proof set SBA, This is as close as I can get with the scope most mint marks on proofs look bad anyway lol and this is still keeping with the thread I have 79,80 and 81 as a mini collection because of the different mint marks for all 3 years ;)

S20210717_0003.jpg

I'm not sure of the diagnostics yet JP, I'll be doing some digging on this over the weekend. I don't have Mega Red Vol 7, so I'm not sure what their description is or if they even have one.

On 7/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, VKurtB said:

Oh boy. Now we get to rummage through 1980 sets, too. /eye roll

Dang it where are those sets. Did I get some when I was younger and buying graded sba’s. Probably. VKurtB you’ve sent us on a treasure hunt ;)  Thank you!  

VKurtB.  Seems to me that some gold mines start as little holes in the ground. Dig on. You’ll be ok because you seem to be able to tell poop from shine-ola. Just because rabbits are prolific breeders and dig alot of holes doesn’t mean you can’t get lucky 

On 7/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, James Zyskowski said:

VKurtB.  Seems to me that some gold mines start as little holes in the ground. Dig on. You’ll be ok because you seem to be able to tell poop from shine-ola. Just because rabbits are prolific breeders and dig alot of holes doesn’t mean you can’t get lucky 

Actually, I grew up near the Kiwi products factory.  I almost never see Shine-ola. Am I in danger of polishing my shoes with, umm, the other stuff?