• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake or not?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, COINSGALORE said:

Would it be worthwhile to send this coin in for grading?

21 hours and no reply to your question.  I wonder why.

I will go way out on the limb and say up to you.  It is a beautiful coin; no doubt, but to spend $ to encapsulate is up to you.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Add information

Hi.

What do you mean by "worthwhile"?  I have sent in several coins where the additional cost of grading and encapsulation will exceed any financial "bump" of having a graded coin.  The coins have more meaning to me, personally, than monetary value.  The coins have histories and stories behind them.  Being graded and in the plastic holder protects those coins and gives me an opportunity to display them and have people ask about the coins.  Then they can get "the story behind the coin", as it were.

I also have coins that I purchased at a price that was (or at least I hoped was) less than the current value of a similar graded coin.  Arbitrage is the fancy term...buying something at a low price and then selling it at a higher price to someone else.  Technically not arbitrage, because I am adding value to the coin by having it graded, but the concept does apply.  

There are also coins that are just easier to sell after they are graded.  I have some Morgan dollars that I will have graded because I know that a Morgan in a holder with an assigned grade will sell higher than me putting it on an auction site and saying "it's a gem BU like super nice coin" or "it's an exceptional coin that's almost uncirculated and in good condition".  There may be differences of opinion in the grade assigned by NGC by a point or two but nobody is going to say "That's a circulated coin" or "that's a cleaned coin".  I let the experts at NGC handle the grading and I just sell (and buy) the coins.  

Before sending in a coin to be graded, you should ask yourself "What is my goal in having this graded", and then determine if it's worthwhile for you or not.  Regardless, that's a nice looking 5 ouncer that you've got there.  I hope the rim of the coin looks as nice as both the reverse and the obverse.  

Based on the title of your post, it sounds like you're not sure if this coin is genuine.  I don't know this coin, so I can't tell you if the potential "value bump" will justify the cost of grading.  This looks like one of those coins though that basically only has two grades.  MS/PF70 might be a home run, whereas MS/PF69 is probably a break even (financially speaking).  Anything less than 69 would be disappointing.  If you just want to know if it's authentic (i.e. not counterfeit), it would be a lot less expensive (and quicker) to take it to a local or national coin show and have it looked at by several reputable dealers or grading services.  Showing it to several local dealers would be the next best choice if there are no shows near you. The folks at your local coin club might also be able to help you verify it's authenticity.

Good luck with it.