• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Eagle milk spotting

7 posts in this topic

Is the milk spotting issue much more common on PCGS coins?  I have never had the problem with any NGC certified coins (yet).  I see in online auctions that many of the PCGS coins have this going on with the Silver Eagles.  

ASE1.jpg

ASE2.jpg

I have some graded ASEs but they are all in PCGS holders and they do seem to have a strong penchant for developing spots. Honestly I would think that the holders are close to equal but since I don't have any or really look at any NGC graded ASEs I couldn't say for sure. I'm currently in the process of selling most of my ASEs. So many better things to collect, that don't spot up. 

They do it in NGC holders as well. I have a few spotted ones in NGC plastic. Seems like even the 2020s were bad with spots. I’m with Mike. I don’t mess with the ASEs anymore. Here is one of mine that is pretty bad. 

33144EA2-1BE6-4790-9998-9B299BDC6479.jpeg

B6C10252-E593-4240-8731-1EA6F94D1DA1.jpeg

Edited by Lem E
Add

I myself don't really collect the ASE but did get a 2020-P and 2020-S.  The 2020-S in the PCGS holder is just a major disappointment.  Agree there are better coins to pick up and that's what I'll also go back to.   

Neither ngc pcgs or anacs shall keep the appointed spots from making their rounds🙀. They love most all of the modern commemorative coins and are even known to frequent a proof set or two. Stinking dirty spots😹. Don’t get me started on that spotty excuse for a coin ase WW2 privy from last year…..

Is there a known timetable for the milk spots?  Or do they typically show up very early on and if you had your ASE for a while and it's spotless it's most likely going to be safe and stay that way?   For the premium charged on these and the varieties nothing is worse than having a coin being worth only the spot price.  

1 hour ago, MN1 said:

Is there a known timetable for the milk spots?  Or do they typically show up very early on and if you had your ASE for a while and it's spotless it's most likely going to be safe and stay that way?   For the premium charged on these and the varieties nothing is worse than having a coin being worth only the spot price. 

They can appear at anytime :whatthe: and I would think that in addition to the manufacturing process storage and handling play a major factor as well.