• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-competitive coins

4 posts in this topic

Hello Ali, 

I understand that the whole point of non-competitive coins is to make 100% completion of any registry set attainable for our average collector and that there are several factors involved when making the decision to mark a coin as non-competitive in an NGC Competitive Registry Set and that these factors may include low mintage, difficulty in obtaining/purchasing the coin, and an unusually high price in relation to the other coins required to fill the set. I have recently had one coin made non-competitive for this very reason. 

Now, there is a set where 3 slots surely fulfil all these criteria and in spite of that these slots are competitive and surely make 100% completion of this registry set attainable for even above average collector. My question is – if I provide you with details would you consider changing these slots from competitive to non-competitive?  

• Administrator

Hello, M.T., and thank you for your interest. Please provide your certification number and the other coins/slots in the same set that you believe are equally a challenge. Our senior team will then make an analysis of the coins in question. 

1 hour ago, Ali E. said:

Hello, M.T., and thank you for your interest. Please provide your certification number and the other coins/slots in the same set that you believe are equally a challenge. Our senior team will then make an analysis of the coins in question. 

Thank you for your reply, Ali. 

The three slots I'd like to question are in the following set: 
Half Crown, Victoria, 1839-1901, Circulation Issue, Including Varieties:

Slot No. 1: Halfcrown 1839, currency issue. This coin is extremely rare, rated R4 by ESC (only
11-20 examples believed to exist), even if very rarely available the purchase price
is prohibitive for even above average collector.

Slot No. 18: Halfcrown 1876/6. This is even not recognized variety at all, just re-punched numeral
as very common on most Victorian coins. This is not recognized in Spink, ESC, Bull or
Davies (most comprehensive catalogue of every known date,type and variety of British
silver coins since 1816). Not sure how/why this attribution was made, normally it's
quite challenging to achieve variety attribution even if the variety is in the books
mentioned above. Only one coin graded and most likely is destined to remain the only
one forever. 

I believe that these two slots should be surely non-competitive, there is no chance that average collector will be ever able to complete this set and compete with these two slots being competitive.

Slot No. 17: Halfcrown 1876/5 This is rare but recognized variety. It's for consideration. At the moment again only one example is graded and in this case NGC normally refuses to make slot competitive (as happened to me with 6027677-026) but for some reason not in this case.

Thank you for consideration.

• Administrator

Hello, M.T.

Thank you for the details. We will add this to our queue of research requests and send you an email when any updates are completed.