• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with 1856 Flying Eagle value?

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the value is for an 1856 Flying Eagle cent that would probably just be graded AG/3?  A value is not listed here at NGC or in the Red Book.   I have an opportunity to pick this coin up.  I'd rather have a nicer one but it is an 1856.

Very difficult to say without a photo, it really depends on what the condition of the coin is and the extent of any damage.   The closest I could find was a Heritage auction from 2016 for a damaged Snow-3 coin that PCGS determined as ungradable.  Heritage described it as good details damaged and it sold for $4,700 but I'm sure that the Snow attribution was a factor in the price.

Thanks all!  I just returned from looking at it.  It was not even AG/3.  It was P/1 and had to be a metal detector find.  It had what looked like some kind of calcium build up on it or what you see on the old Civil War bullets.  Definitely was cleaned and had no visible date.  I think the owner was able to identify it as a Flying Eagle, looked up the values and is just calling it an 1856 to get the most out of it.  Oh well, I had to look.  Sometimes you get lucky...just not today.