• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Florida "FUN" coin show July 8.
1 1

18 posts in this topic

From the web site: http://www.funtopics.com/

"Welcome to the 16th Summer FUN Convention. The opening of the doors will be at 10:00 AM, following the welcoming ceremony which will now start at 9:45 AM on July 8. We will have a lot of free give aways during Summer FUN. Orange County Covid Protocols will need to be followed in July although we still do not know what they will be as of the end of June. The issues involving face mask and social distancing is very fluid and we may not even know until the day the convention opens. We will be requiring all attendees to Summer FUN to complete a Covid 19 Liability Waiver Form prior to entering the bourse floor. Print it from this link and bring the completed form to the dealer or public registration booth."

16 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'll probably concentrate on the January FUN, but I wonder if proof of vaccination would KO the need for masks and social distancing.

Just made my (short) flight reservations and booked my hotel. I may drive in January, but 610 miles is a slog in a car without AC.

9 minutes ago, Errorists said:

Fun shows should be in late October and early April.. Florida is way to hot in July..

I live just south of Huntsville, Alabama. So far in 2021, we have had one (1) day over 90 degrees, ONE! The Canadian Rockies have had waaaaay more.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I live just south of Huntsville, Alabama. So far in 2021, we have had one (1) day over 90 degrees, ONE! The Canadian Rockies have had waaaaay more.

[Storm after storm. Rain followed by even more -- and now Elsa. Sheesh!]

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Storm after storm. Rain followed by even more -- and now Elsa. Sheesh!]

Will I need to turn my shorts backwards and tune up my falsetto to sing hits from Disney's Frozen? Maybe I'll just let it go.

8 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Will I need to turn my shorts backwards and tune up my falsetto to sing hits from Disney's Frozen? Maybe I'll just let it go.

Let it go.  Your health comes first!

5 hours ago, Errorists said:

Fun shows should be in late October and early April.. Florida is way to hot in July..

You can't beat January for FUN.  Best time for most of the country.

Now.....lop off a zero ?

Went to one FUN thing long ago and was bored crazy - nothing I wanted that I could buy, and dealers didn't have time to "talk turkey." Tried to interest them in an "Author Table" where several hobby writers could hang out and chat with collectors without any pressure. Offered to organize everything. All they had to do was provide a little table, a couple of chairs, (some good sippin' whiskey -- ), and occasional public announcements.    Turned down cold.

Edited by RWB

37 minutes ago, RWB said:

Now.....lop off a zero ?

Went to one FUN thing long ago and was bored crazy - nothing I wanted that I could buy, and dealers didn't have time to "talk turkey." Tried to interest them in an "Author Table" where several hobby writers could hang out and chat with collectors without any pressure. Offered to organize everything. All they had to do was provide a little table, a couple of chairs, (some good sippin' whiskey -- ), and occasional public announcements.    Turned down cold.

Maybe something at an ANA show on the “club midway” area. All you need is a club to “sponsor” the booth. I can bring the whisky and/or whiskey, depending on whether it’s Scotch.

5 hours ago, RWB said:

Went to one FUN thing long ago and was bored crazy - nothing I wanted that I could buy, and dealers didn't have time to "talk turkey." 

600 tables and you couldn't find ANY interesting coins, particularly those you've written about ?  Uggh....

If you had a special Admittance Pass around your neck saying FEATURED AUTHOR or something like that, I bet they would have talked.  Unless they were busy doing business, which I hear is usually the case early in the show.

I'd love to have you and other authors talk about your books that you have written and update developments on the coins mentioned in the current market.  I can't believe they wouldn't be well-attended.  A panel discussion on Saints or Double Eagles with some high-end dealers, you, and maybe 1 or 2 others ?  The Morgan Dollar Symposium with Randy Campbell of ICG had probably 75-100 people in attendance as I recall at FUN 2020.

I believe most/all of the FUN 2020 talks/break-outs were well-attended, even those beginning at 8 AM !!  xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

13 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

600 tables and you couldn't find ANY interesting coins, particularly those you've written about ?  Uggh....

There were lots of interesting coins, U.S. and foreign...all well beyond my imagined budget. But just looking at them in a showcase does nothing for me and adds nothing to research. If I find coins I'd written about, it also means that I've dug into the subject to the point where I know who was running the presses.

What it amounts to is that my purpose for a "coin show" and the real purpose of a "coin bourse" are radically different. The bourse is to buy and sell; mine is to examine and understand.