• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to grade

16 posts in this topic

My father acquired a large collection of coins. He handed things to me and my sisters on a regular basis. He loved collection then either giving them to kids and grandkids or handing them out to people. So unfortunately when he handed us those cases or books, in our minds it was like yay more coins. And we thought nothing of them. I'm a stamp collector. Not really into coins alot. But Dad recently passed so I've been going through some of the things he gave me for me and my kids.

A set he gave me was a book and a role of barber quarters. 2 are graded by NGC but the rest are in a coin binder by date. If the coins are in the correct locations, he was only missing the 1913-s. Which to me says it was out of his range or is extremely rare. So my question- if I wish to get anymore of the set graded, which ones do you recommend? I know grading each coin isn't practical or necessary but how do you determine what in a set should be graded ? thanks

Welcome to the Forum

A rule of thumb for grading is if a coin is worth $150.00 or more, it is financially feasible to have it graded. There are other reasons though such as personnel preferences like using a coin in a Registry Set, wanting protection for the coin etc. 

Welcome to the forum. Are these quarters all in good condition, look new, very worn, or a mix? Condition is a key driver in value. A common date can be worth grading if it’s in top condition, and a rare date may not be worth it if it resembles road kill. 

If you're planning on keeping them I'd leave them as is, in the binder, and maybe get two more examples to add to the binder in place of the two in NGC slabs. If you want to selectively slab for personal reasons or if you just want to get an idea of what you have, for selling or insurance, you really need to know what condition they're in. A good exercise would be to look at the NGC price guide for these Barber Quarters (1892-1916) | Coin Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com) go down the XF column and identify any coin with a value of over $250, take a picture of these coins and post them here to get an idea of condition. I'd start with the highest valued coins. You could also take them to a local coin shop and get an opinion of condition/value. 

3 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

If you're planning on keeping them I'd leave them as is, in the binder, and maybe get two more examples to add to the binder in place of the two in NGC slabs. If you want to selectively slab for personal reasons or if you just want to get an idea of what you have, for selling or insurance, you really need to know what condition they're in. A good exercise would be to look at the NGC price guide for these Barber Quarters (1892-1916) | Coin Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com) go down the XF column and identify any coin with a value of over $250, take a picture of these coins and post them here to get an idea of condition. I'd start with the highest valued coins. You could also take them to a local coin shop and get an opinion of condition/value. 

I looked into the two that are encapsulated. I won't be replacing those any time soon. Turns out , he had the whole set. The 2 that are already graded are the 1901-s and the 1913-s.  They have a mixed collection of wear. If they were stamps I'd say most are fine to very fine. Only a few are strongly worn.

20210627_133448.jpg

20210627_133521.jpg

20210627_133546.jpg

20210627_133605.jpg

20210627_134506.jpg

20210627_133429.jpg

20210627_133348.jpg

20210627_133405.jpg

Does the collection contain any of the following? These are the more sought after and higher value ones to look for. If you do have any you can post a clear picture front and back each in its own thread and people can give you grade estimates. 

- 1892 S
- 1893 S
- 1896 S
- 1896 O
- 1897 S
- 1897 O
- 1898 O
- 1901 O
- 1901 S
- 1908 S
- 1909 O
- 1911 D
- 1913 S
- 1914 S

If the ones you posted are typical, then your father already had the better coins authenticated and graded.

9 minutes ago, shellybass said:

Both are ag3. I'm assuming the value is in the key date and mint. 

16248194650211020157673149677470.jpg

16248195002705411520951498216689.jpg

I was hoping they were in that XF range, but nonetheless you may be in for a nice surprise. Real world recent auction sales for these two would put the price range as:

1901 S : $2700 - $3000 range. Greysheet is $3000. 

1913 S : $700 - $900 range. 
Greysheet is $975

From everything presented it appears the coins were pulled from circulation in the late 1940s or mid-1950s. Complete sets of older coins could still be assembled that way until about 1955. Post-Civil War coin sets could be collected into the 1930s.

NGC Research Director David Lange has a lot of information on this subject.

Edited by RWB

There are three keys to that set (there are others that are important depending on condition)  The 1896 S, the 1901 S, and the 1913 S.  I'd also like to see the reverse of the 01 S because from what I see of the obv I think it may be undergraded.  The obv has a couple small "problems" but nothing out of line for the condition, but the obv looks better than an AG.  Compare it to the 13 S which does look like an AG with the rim worn into the field from 8:00 to 12:00 and weak in other places.

OK, from the rev of the 01 S I would agree withte AG-3 grade.  The 96 S probably a Fr-2.  But the 96 S is counterfeited a lot and probably would be more marketable, if that is your goal, if it were certified.  And I think the value even in this condition may be high enough to justify the grading fees.