• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1912D Liberty Nickel grade opinion

11 posts in this topic

Though I have certainly gotten better at estimating grades the last several months, the differences seem to be more subtle for the less experienced the higher the potential grade goes. Here is a better 1912 D Liberty nickel that I estimate is somewhere between 40-50 based on Photograde. I am just looking for the opinions of more seasoned collectors as to how they would grade this or how  NGC might. 

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

I think you are in the right range. I’d say EF 45 to be conservative. Might go low AU on a good day. 

Can you get a close up of the cheek you the mouth? It almost looks like a retained delamination. 

9 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I think you are in the right range. I’d say EF 45 to be conservative. Might go low AU on a good day. 

Thanks and 45 was exactly what I was thinking, and yes... I will post a closeup of that issue also. Was not sure if that adds or subtracts from value.

It almost looks like a large die break, but I think a lamination is more likely. If that is the case error collectors would probably pay some level of premium, but I don’t think it’s a large premium. I personally don’t collect errors and I am not up to speed on pricing. 

If you aren’t familiar a lamination error is when a portion of the planchet has a flaw and will separate or flake off. Sometimes they are retained and sometimes you just see the remaining void. Does it look like in hand that this part of the metal is separating?

4 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Does it look like in hand that this part of the metal is separating?

It is really hard to see even under magnification (not even noticeable to the plain eye), but it does appear that if I took a nice sharp razor to it from bottom right and scraped towards upper left in exactly the correct manner that it might lift it.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy468 said:

It is really hard to see even under magnification (not even noticeable to the plain eye), but it does appear that if I took a nice sharp razor to it from bottom right and scraped towards upper left in exactly the correct manner that it might lift it.

Well clearly don’t do that 😂. But I would assume it’s a lamination then. 

7 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Well clearly don’t do that 😂. But I would assume it’s a lamination then. 

I certainly would not do that of course. I have several coins that people have abused in one way or another. Thanks again for your input. Any other opinions would be appreciated also especially since the reverse seems to be a better grade than the obverse. 

EF, cleaned and dull.

2 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

Lion identified reverse  E ? N  of CENTS, anyways I'm new here

Which means....?