• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Submission Contents Check Upon Delivery

9 posts in this topic

Hello NGC, 

With all the recent thefts taking place with shipping companies - are you checking contents upon delivery or do we have to wait the month it takes you guys to open the box before we are alerted that our coins and sensitive information on our submissions forms have been stolen? 

Thank you! 

• Administrator

Hello AHBroker,

Thank you.  If the package looks as if were tampered with, we would not accept the package and notify you.  Otherwise, it will be kept with that days mail until opened.

Thank you,

Lisa

On 5/26/2021 at 8:21 AM, FroggyHopper said:

Hello NGC, 

With all the recent thefts taking place with shipping companies - are you checking contents upon delivery or do we have to wait the month it takes you guys to open the box before we are alerted that our coins and sensitive information on our submissions forms have been stolen? 

Thank you! 

This was probably 13 years ago now, before all the CoVID stuff and the back-ups in opening mail, but...

I sent in a bunch of coins - probably like 50-60 and didn't use registered mail. I get a call from NGC. The box had arrived soaked and in such sad shape that the post office shrink-wrapped it so it would hold together. They took a look at this thing and actually called me to talk to me about what I wanted to do and if I wanted them to try opening it and grading the coins still.

It worked out. I'm guessing the outside got soaked but we packed it well and the coins are okay on the insides. Grades came back mostly fine. But, short of dementia / alzheimers, I don't know that I will forget that call as long as I live. lol

On 6/19/2021 at 8:06 PM, Revenant said:

but we packed it well

The key to a successful shipping. People:  When you get your coins back how well does NGC or PCGS package your coins?  If you package and tape up your coins as well as they do you have no worries.

6 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

The key to a successful shipping. People:  When you get your coins back how well does NGC or PCGS package your coins?  If you package and tape up your coins as well as they do you have no worries.

I worry more about shipping raw than I ever would about shipping graded coins just because those NGC slabs seem to be built like tanks. lol.

33 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I worry more about shipping raw than I ever would about shipping graded coins

Perhaps I did not make myself clear; perhaps you misunderstood.  I meant this for people who ship coins via USPS, FedEx or UPS raw or slabbed.  If you seal your package as well as NGC or PCGS you have no worries.  Accidental destruction your package would take what amount of force?  If it arrives open you know for sure it was THEFT.  PCGS is now returning your graded coins in those plastic slab boxes wrapped with heavy brown paper and with every inch covered in reinforced tape.  I knew I would find a good use for all those old NGC boxes I have kept.  Remember, this is nothing more than a suggestion to share how I have not had any problems.  Cheers.

23 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Perhaps I did not make myself clear; perhaps you misunderstood.  I meant this for people who ship coins via USPS, FedEx or UPS raw or slabbed.  If you seal your package as well as NGC or PCGS you have no worries.  Accidental destruction your package would take what amount of force?  If it arrives open you know for sure it was THEFT.  PCGS is now returning your graded coins in those plastic slab boxes wrapped with heavy brown paper and with every inch covered in reinforced tape.  I knew I would find a good use for all those old NGC boxes I have kept.  Remember, this is nothing more than a suggestion to share how I have not had any problems.  Cheers.

I guess really you're talking more about theft / tampering / package destruction where my thinking was more about the packing in the box and the coins surviving the trip - which admittedly is not what the thread is really / originally about.

My main concern Is that the contents are packed in a way that pads and cushions them when the box takes a hit.

I almost never worry about full-on package destruction/ loss of contents. I've received many boxes over the years where the exterior box was visibly abused but the contents were 100% fine thanks to being well padded. I've also received boxes that looked fine but the contents had small / delicate parts broken off because the seller put no effort into protecting those inside the box.

22 minutes ago, Revenant said:

more about the packing in the box and the coins surviving the trip

First, if your container is flimsy or not well constructed you will lose no matter what,  Here are the steps I go though and I do hope I can be of some help:

I place the flips or the slab in one of those corrugated mailers that fold over and protect the flip or the slab.  You can buy these from Wizard of any other coin supplier just look under Coin Mailing.  Then I wrap this small thin package in bubble wrap and place it in a small USPS small Priority Mail box.  This makes it too big to go through the Automatic Sorting Machine.  Then I wrap the entire box in glass reinforced tape and seal that in a Express Mail envelope and ship it Overnight Mail insured.  In decades I have yet to have one lost, stolen, misplaced or damaged.  (Knock on wood)  Nor have I had a client ever complain.  If your receiving broken or damaged goods get another seller.