• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 silver proof dime
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I can't think of very many less sensible moves. It looks to be an impaired proof, no hope of a high grade and probably get PR-damaged, and you'd spend more than even a really nice one is worth just being told that.

[Whatever it is we are supposed to be looking at, the bombardment of cosmic rays to Roosevelt's profile, particularly from the nose down, is an impossible to overlook distraction, and detracts greatly from its pristine proof grade and ideal value.]

Is the idea to create a set of the absolute worst proof dimes you can get?

On 5/22/2021 at 11:42 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

(shrug) What are we supposed to be looking at? Not a doubled die IMO if that's the question.

Not sure but I think it is still in it's case and the plastic is all scratched as for what to do with it it is your choice. blinewalker....Welcome to the forum

7 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Not sure but I think it is still in it's case and the plastic is all scratched

Correct, you can see the scratches on the plastic and the reflection of them on the coin. Still not the best looking, the surfaces probably need some conservation.

6 minutes ago, blinewalker said:

Thats the picture i merant to upload

Please describe what it is that you think merits examination. All I see is a regular proof dime and if you think it's worthy of grading, then so be it. Good luck with the submission.

Barely twenty minutes after joining as a member, the OP jumps onto the chatboard and asks the audience what we think he ought to do with his newly found 1999 proof set, clearly stating, .... "now I have to jail break it and send him [FDR] in (.)"  

To blinewalker:

If not a major problem, please address some of the spectators' concerns as expressed here, with additional questions, as follows:

1. Is the coin you've zeroed in on still in its original, protective U.S. Mint holder?

2.  If it was extricated successfully, does it display any damage to its surface, front or back?

3.  What is the suggested manufacturer's retail price for the entire set?

4.  What is the Fair Market Value of a proof 1999-s dime?

5.  According to the latest, revised, NGC Submission Form, featuring 14 boxes as well as a page full of fine print on the reverse side, what will it cost you to have it graded and what do you imagine it will cost you to ship it down, and back, taking into consideration mailing and insurance fees.

I suggest you study the white booklet entitled, NGC NCS SUBMISSION FORM INSTRUCTIONS.  

One question I will not ask you is how long do you think this ostensibly simple process will take from the time you have it weighed and mailed and the day you receive your coin in encapsulated form. There are too many variables and factors out of the shipper's and NGC's control to make a reliable prediction.

In the future, it would be very helpful to all interested parties if you were to have the best possible photos of both the obverse and reverse accompany your query.

In all fairness, "different" does not always equal "worth being graded," particularly if the owner is unacquainted with numismatic terminology.

Not everyone understands the significance of what they find. So they, "Oh that! It was a counterfeit. The numbers were struck twice, rather imprecisely."

Whudja do witit?  "I got rid of it."

And let's not forget, Rtz's '43 copper is still out there, somewhere, waiting to be re-discovered. 

As I said on his other thread, I think the die has been overpolished resulting in the tail of the last 9 being thinner than normal.  No extra value, not worth submitting.