• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can there be a button that removes dealer sets?

5 posts in this topic

Can there be a button that removes dealer created sets letting us view only sets created by other active hobbyist? For example, a total of 79 of the first 100 ranked sets in "Indian Head Eagles 1907-1933" are owned by just two dealers. X1X1X1 owns 63 of the first 100, and By foresthamilton@universalcoin.com owns 12 of the first 100. This leaves only 21 of the first 100 spots for real people. https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive/united-states/gold-eagles/193/?page=1

Presumably X1X1X1 and By foresthamilton@universalcoin.com are successful dealers using the registry to sell sets. If title and control of these registry sets transferred to the eventual owners in those owners' names, that would be one thing, but these 79 sets are still in the dealers' names. I don't begrudge the dealers for finding a marketing gimmick to sell their services (glad to see dealers thriving), but this monopolization of the registry really spoils the fun for the rest of us.

Thanks.

Just for curiosity sake how do you know that X1X1X1 is a dealer?   It has been some time since I look at all his/her sets (and there are a ton) but I don't recall seeing even one photo so there are no cert numbers to check against dealers inventory so its impossible to know if any of those coins are for sale anywhere.   It seems clear that universalcoin may well be from the name, however even if both are dealers it is possible that the coins in those sets are personal collections not automatically inventory.   I'm not disagreeing with your idea rather that its almost impossible for NGC to identify a dealer and then next to impossible to distinguish if the coins in sets are inventory or personal.   I too would like to see the practice of dealer inventory sets discouraged in the registry, just not that sure how feasible it is for NGC to govern.

• Administrator
On 5/9/2021 at 12:36 AM, CSdot said:

Can there be a button that removes dealer created sets letting us view only sets created by other active hobbyist? For example, a total of 79 of the first 100 ranked sets in "Indian Head Eagles 1907-1933" are owned by just two dealers. X1X1X1 owns 63 of the first 100, and By foresthamilton@universalcoin.com owns 12 of the first 100. This leaves only 21 of the first 100 spots for real people. https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive/united-states/gold-eagles/193/?page=1

Presumably X1X1X1 and By foresthamilton@universalcoin.com are successful dealers using the registry to sell sets. If title and control of these registry sets transferred to the eventual owners in those owners' names, that would be one thing, but these 79 sets are still in the dealers' names. I don't begrudge the dealers for finding a marketing gimmick to sell their services (glad to see dealers thriving), but this monopolization of the registry really spoils the fun for the rest of us.

Thanks.

Hello and thanks for your interest. Some dealers manage their clients' NGC Registry sets for them, as a special courtesy. They can only do so under one NGC Registry account, and they get creative with set names, so they can distinguish one customer's collection from the next.

3 hours ago, Ali E. said:

Hello and thanks for your interest. Some dealers manage their clients' NGC Registry sets for them, as a special courtesy. They can only do so under one NGC Registry account, and they get creative with set names, so they can distinguish one customer's collection from the next.

Thanks for the response. 

There's been a 1932 mint set for years that beat ours but they kept it obscured. I've often wondered what the deal was with that set, but...

This would have to be a voluntary enforcement/ compliance issue for the reason that Ali lists and because a dealer could always just have an account with a more subtle name and how would NGC ever know? They'd have to self-report.

Filter / sort by the sets with pictures and enjoy. ;)