• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Panama
1 1

9 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, World Colonial said:

I have been there three times: 1974, 2002 and 2003.  I bought a few silver proof sets for this reason but sold it later.  

I bet it's a pretty neat place. Would love to go there. 

37 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I bet it's a pretty neat place. Would love to go there. 

It's worth going to once. 

First time I was in transit travelling with my family.  Last two times to visit my father when he lived there from 2002-2007.  Main thing I dislike about it is that it's really hot and humid.  I totally hate the heat.  Not just in the summer, but year round from being so close to the equator.  Last two times I was there in June but my father told me it isn't any cooler in the "winter".

The traffic in Panama City where I was "sucks" too.  It's really congested and unless you know the road system, very confusing due to the poor signage and sections with one-way streets.  I was staying in the financial district and my father told me he arrived the night before but it took him 20 minutes in the dark to reach the hotel.  He could see it from his car but couldn't find the right street to take him there.

In 2002, I did try to find a coin shop.  There was one listed in the phone book, a part timer.  My father spoke to him but I understood he spent much of his time travelling (probably mostly here) to find inventory.  There is a noticeable expatriate community there, since it's a financial center for "money laundering".  I don't know how much coin collecting occurs there but there isn't what I would describe as any "collecting infrastructure".