• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on 1943 P Nickle

5 posts in this topic

Looks like a well worn standard issue wartime nickel to me, has roughly a $1.50 worth of silver in it, I think. There are several DDOs & RPMs for this date but I can't tell from the pics if you'll be able to identify any of them, probably not, and due to condition probably not worth the effort. Here is a good place to start if you're interested. http://varietyvista.com/ 

If you're suggesting it was struck on a .750/.250 planchet, doubtful. 

Not quite sure what info your looking for but this is what I know.

During the war in an effort to save nickel, the US mint changed there coinage an alloy of 56%copper, 35%silver and 9% Magnesium.

There were 271,165,000 of the 1943P 5 cent coins minted. The value unless high grade is in the 35% silver content.

The large mint mark on he wartime 5 cents signify they are of the silver content.

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

56%copper, 35%silver and 9% Magnesium.

9% Manganese.

I love those Nickels. Got my butt whipped a few times over those. When I was a kid a BIG candy bar cost a nickel . My dad had a stacks of these in a corner of a top shelf in the dining room. Needless to say every so often he would check on them.   The piles kept getting smaller. Not sure why ?