• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin is better?

27 posts in this topic

Man, tough call. The top coin seems to have more luster and umph to it (I consider die cracks like cherries on ice cream sundaes wink.gif, as long as there aren't too many), although it is marked up more than the bottom coin. I'd go with the luster and character of number one (I am correct on the luster issue, no?).

Nice coins.

Hi EVP,

I like the NGC coin. I think it looks a little better struck. Also I think I see a couple of die cracks, and I find older coins with die cracks very interesting.

John

it is sort of hard to tell but just from the scans the bottom coin wins for me

hands down!

again sight seen this might change but i doubt it

the top coin too many marks and bright lustre probsbly dipped? overdipped? the bottom coin looks more subdued maybe a long ago proper dip that has slightly retoned this chamapgne color and less marks? i WOULD LOVE TO AND NEED TO SEE THESE TWO COINS IN PERSON!

i guess both dipped the bottom retoned and the top maybe slightly burned but bright and recent dip the bottom long ago dipped and retoned

again overall less makrs so the bottom for me

again this is just a guesstimate AS PER THE ABOVE I WOULD NEDED TO SEE BOTH COINS SIGHT SEEN THEN I COULD SAY 100% EITHER WAY

sincerely michael

a syuper great post and this is waht the posts should only be about on here this thread/post is the classic coin post on the boards only about specific coins to learn from

sincerely michael

sincerely michael

Obviously, which coin is "better" is a matter of opinion. I will refrain on voicing my opinion for now because I don't want affect the discussion by stating my reasons.

To me, however, I have a strong aesthetic preference for one coin over the other.

EVP

I prefer the top coin, but mainly because of the color. Evenly toned coins don't appeal to me; if I want a golden-colored coin I'll buy a St. Gaudens or an Indian and get real gold. The contrast on the top coin (it may be the photography) is far greater and the luster, especially on the reverse, is much stronger. There are more marks on the top coin, but they don't bother me. Nice coins!

I like #1 better (did I win it?) It seems from the photos that the bottom is technically better, but I am a sucker for really shiny metal objects so the top one is the one I'd choose to own!

I like the obverse of the top coin more and the reverse of the bottom! The obverse of the top coin appears to have significantly more minute detail, perhaps it's better stuck but the bottom one looks high AU to me. However, the top coin does not have the wild colorful hues on the reverse that the top coin has. Both reverses are suitably detailed. Great stuff!

Hoot

I like the first coin better. Both coins were mine, but I traded the second one for the first one (plus cash to me).

Why do I like the first coin more? The die cracks and striations are very cool to me, and gives the coin character. (For those who know me somewhat, remember that I collect Bust coinage by die marriage and study their die states.)

Also, eye appeal is king in my opinion. And, within this, luster reigns tops. The first coin has the most amazing booming SATINY luster that I've seen for a coin that isn't a superb gem. (Both coins are graded MS63.)

The first coin also has more of an original look to me; the second specimen has toning that is too light and yet too perfect.

Both coins are well struck. Certainly, the second specimen is very minimally marked, but the first specimen is also high end marks-wise (just not as PQ as the second one).

According to most seasoned coin people, including graders, LUSTER IS KING.

EVP

From the pictures I like the PCGS coin better. The pictures are kind of grainy looking on my end so it's hard to get the real feel for each coin. The NGC coin has some nice die cracks, the marks in front of liberty are very noticable. The color of the PCGS coin is more to my liking. Both are very nice and I would be happy to own either one. mike smile.gif

The NGC coin is a luster stud to me, and the PCGS coin has a dipped, washed out look. The PCGS coin has enough discoloration on at shoulder, forearm, leg, and banner that coupled with subdued luster it is a MS63. The NGC coin, despite having some bagginess and a small scratch on the reverse has what appears to be booming luster, and to me at least is really a MS coin that could easily gem with a few less marks keeping it in an MS63 holder. I'd much rather own the luster coin. JMO.

I don't know if it is the photo or what but the top, NGC coin looks grainy to me. There appear less marks on the second coin and I prefer that color to what looks like an untoned (dipped) upper coin.

What is going on with Liberty's shoulder on the second coin? Is the luster rubbed off there? Perhaps a shadow in the image?

Anyway I prefer the second coin judging by the images. But like Michael says if I see it in person I will know %100 which one I like better smile.gif

I like the second coin more. The top one has a dipped look to it. The bottom one looks more original. Both are really nice so it makes the choice difficult.

Miss Liberty on the top coin looks like she has chicken-pox!?! I guess that is the photo. The top coin has better lustre. The bottom coin looks dipped and retoned to me. It is rather dull looking. IMO the top coin has better eye appeal, so I would pick it as being the best one...

I like the NGC. The luster looks really cool and leaps off the coin. Luster on the PCGS MAY be nice, but it doesn't leap like the NGC piece. Plus, those die cracks are cool.

I never noticed it before, but the grainy-ness of the first image is likely due to the softer plastic of the NGC holder. It simply imparts a "softer" image.

Also, on neither coin is there a scratch or any grade-limiting mark. In other words, the first coin has no reverse scratch. And, the camera brought out *more* luster of the second coin than it did of the first coin (due to the "softening" effect of the holder).

Those who like the first coin for its luster is right on. Those who like the second coin for the smoothness of its surfaces is also right on. A matter of preference. I strongly prefer blast over clean.

BTW, if you see the first coin up close and in person, you'd say that the coin has very fresh surfaces. Very meaty!

EVP

PS It seems that many people liked this type of discussion; I'll try to do more.

I like the NGC one better. It has nice luster and that die crack looks good. It may be a scuff on the holder, but there looks like a lot of wear on the top of Liberty's head on PCGS one.