• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this what is referred to as trailing or perhaps a cracked die?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

It's a die crack with a small break between wing and talon, and another smaller one about the left upright of "R." If you put the light at a low angle to the coin, you might trace the crack further up the eagle's wing.

A "crack" is a thin split in the die surface which results in an irregular thin line. It often is seen on Morgan silver dollars connecting the tops of reverse lettering.

A "break" is where part of the die face has broken off. This produces a raised blob of metal.

Edited by RWB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1