• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake 1878 CC Morgan dollar?

5 posts in this topic

Lots of wear on this coin... anyone think it is likely a counterfeit?  I'm fairly new to the Morgan silver dollars, and this coin is not in my hands to inspect.  All feedback appreciated.  

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

Not a super valuable coin (probably $100-$130 range) so it would be my opinion that it isn't a counterfeit. You can take it to a coin dealer who can examine it and weigh it to verify its authenticity.  Good luck!  

I didn't buy it.  The CC coins have decent value, but this one is really worn.  I have a good scale and calipers to check specs, but this coin is online.  The seller wouldn't respond to inquiries.  In the end I decided it's not in the condition I really want.  The lack of bidding on it also was a red flag to me that maybe it was counterfeit.  Only a couple bids, it sold at $81.   I recently dealt with a counterfeit 1878, that ended up being around 22 grams....  got a refund on that one.  Seller claimed ignorance.  

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It doesn't look fake to me. It seems to be just worn from heavy use, but 1878-CC is common enough that you can do better.

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

It doesn't look fake to me. It seems to be just worn from heavy use, but 1878-CC is common enough that you can do better.

Thanks for the feedback.  In the end I decided the condition wasn't really what I was looking for.  But the lack of bidding on a CC Morgan dollar seemed out of the ordinary relative to almost all other listings of such a coin.  Maybe the lack of attention was just due to condition.  At any rate, I've decided to back away from eBay as a source for Morgans.