• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 penny value?

8 posts in this topic

Just need your help  if how much maybe is the value if l sell this coin have 3 of those for 27 yrs with me   
or is this worth it if l send for grading?

thanks!

064A84E6-6F6E-4C9E-AC44-323C0A373AB2.jpeg

9B8521BE-A7F4-4543-988A-0E764E81742F.jpeg

The obverse looks VF, the reverse is a bit too blurry to tell if the lines in the wheat ears are all there, but also looks VF. It might even go low XF in hand. Still not worth the cost of submission, though. I would put the value of this one in the $8 - $12 range, judging by "sold" listings on Ebay.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

The obverse looks VF, the reverse is a bit too blurry to tell if the lines in the wheat ears are all there, but also looks VF. It might even go low XF in hand. Still not worth the cost of submission, though. I would put the value of this one in the $8 - $12 range, judging by "sold" listings on Ebay.

Thanks guys ill just keep it then,

how about this one?

A7B477B0-97F1-4300-AFEB-B22A9FB2AB73.jpeg

2BF6BF04-E007-4471-9B81-EDD26758986D.jpeg

May l ask a favour guys, is there a chance l can post mustiple picture in one topic to help me out about pricing  or even advicing me about selling coins and listeo them on my ebay, would you guys allow me if l send it in your email or just posted in neweibe?

thanks really appreciate!

Just post here, the second one has stronger detail but the obv staining is a real negative to the eye appeal aspect.   Again not worth the cost to slab as this coin's value I would place at $5, while technically AU for the details the staining really hurts the value and the lack of any luster limits the grade to XF.    Just because something is old does not automatically mean it has great value, 1909 was the first year for the Lincoln cent and the mint made over 27 million 1909 VDB cents.   As is typical of first year issues these were horded heavily so it is very easy to find 1909 VDB examples and in very high grades.   Iast month an MS63 red example sold at auction for $50, which depending on the cost to buy the coin and after auction (and possible grading fees) fees the seller may have lost money.

We don't mind helping you out with some of this but if you plan to sell you need to learn to grade yourself, once you can do that you can use the power of the internet to determine values for yourself.   Use this link  Photograde  to compare your coins and determine the grade, my challenge to you is find a coin you have not posted here and use this guide I've linked to find a grade yourself.   Then post that coin and the grade you think it is and ask if we think you are correct.

That will be a big first step toward you being able to help yourself.

Edited by Coinbuf

Do you have any of these with an S mint mark? I know you said you had several. A 1909 S VDB would potentially be worth your time. Post it for feedback for sure if you have one. 

On 4/3/2021 at 9:39 AM, Coinbuf said:

Just post here, the second one has stronger detail but the obv staining is a real negative to the eye appeal aspect.   Again not worth the cost to slab as this coin's value I would place at $5, while technically AU for the details the staining really hurts the value and the lack of any luster limits the grade to XF.    Just because something is old does not automatically mean it has great value, 1909 was the first year for the Lincoln cent and the mint made over 27 million 1909 VDB cents.   As is typical of first year issues these were horded heavily so it is very easy to find 1909 VDB examples and in very high grades.   Iast month an MS63 red example sold at auction for $50, which depending on the cost to buy the coin and after auction (and possible grading fees) fees the seller may have lost money.

We don't mind helping you out with some of this but if you plan to sell you need to learn to grade yourself, once you can do that you can use the power of the internet to determine values for yourself.   Use this link  Photograde  to compare your coins and determine the grade, my challenge to you is find a coin you have not posted here and use this guide I've linked to find a grade yourself.   Then post that coin and the grade you think it is and ask if we think you are correct.

That will be a big first step toward you being able to help yourself.

Hi coinbuf thank you so much for the very helpful link and l really appreciate it,  l think l might focus only in penny so that way my foundation will get better, l might get overwhelmed due to different denominations that l have inherited, l will keep posting in this forum so l might get more ideas, and l really appreciate you guys for helping me out..

Thanks a lot!