• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm wondering the value of these two pennies.

4 posts in this topic

I have a 1958 D ms69 penny and a interesting 1979 D penny. However the D is an error coin, if you look closely you can see that the outline of a D is there but the D is solid. There is no space in the center of the D it it just solid. Any information on these 2 pennies is appreciated. Thanks!

Screenshot_20210331-233156.png

Screenshot_20210331-233125.png

It’s going to be impossible for anyone to see them well enough from your pictures. Even thought the top one says it’s an MS69, I highly doubt it is close to that. PGS isn’t one of the more reputable grading companies, and the ones that are haven’t graded any that high. So people will need to see it more closely. Assuming it graded a MS66, which is the highest PCGS has graded, it’s about $25. 

The 1979 D, unless it was very high grade isn’t worth much of a numismatic premium. Hard to be sure but the pictures don’t seem to point to it being high mint state. 

I missed that you think the 79 is a repunched mint mark. There is one RPM for that date. It’s not recognized by NGC and it’s minor. You can look at the attached link to see if it matches yours. Nothing can be seen from that photo. 

http://www.varietyvista.com/02b LC RPMs Vol 2/1979DRPM001.htm

Please in the future crop your photos and show both sides, nobody can give you a complete or accurate assessment from seeing only one side of the coin.  From your description the 79-D may be a broken post filled D, not a valuable error and not worth the costs to grade/slab unless in very high grade which from the one side you have shown it does not appear to be.     Again impossible to give any grade with a moon shot of one side of the 58-D, however I'm 100% sure that the coin will not be graded as MS69 by either NGC or PCGS.   Biased on just the photos of one side of each coin I would put the value at $.50 for the 58-D and $.01 for the 79-D, my assessment of value for the 58-D could change if a reverse photo is provided.

Edited by Coinbuf