• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 nickel

10 posts in this topic

Can someone/anyone please offer me some guidance about this mint mark? It doesn't match any error I can find, but it looks quite odd. Thank y'all in advance! 

20210324_223704.jpg

20210324_223748.jpg

20210324_224740.jpg

Looks like just a D mintmark with a hint of PMD. Not quite sure what that little blob on the step underneath is though. 

Edited by Lem E
Add

Ok. I may have looked at this too long and am overthinking, but... Logically this would just be a case of PMD, however, (and this is only a far fetched theory) say the blob on the steps is a die chip. The chip falls on the planchet and creates a strike through on the mintmark. You just happened to find the coin that was struck when the chip broke and fell out. The blob/die chip(?) is intriguing because it looks similar in size to the mintmark spot and I can’t help but wonder if the mintmark damage and the die chip(?) are related somehow. Like I said, far fetched theory, but I guess technically possible. Most likely PMD, but with these crazy coins, you never know.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, Sharann said:

Can someone/anyone please offer me some guidance about this mint mark? It doesn't match any error I can find, but it looks quite odd. Thank y'all in advance! 

20210324_223704.jpg

20210324_223748.jpg

20210324_224740.jpg

Are you going to send it to NGC for grading?