• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 P franklin type 2 FBL

7 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have a franklin that is a top pop of 3.  how would one come up with a value on a coin like that? 

any help?  any thoughts?

thanks so much

matt

Edited by Matt G's

You can get an approximate value in a couple ways. Both NGC and PCGS have price guides. Pay attention to realized auction prices and not the guide price. You can also look at sold listings on eBay and other auction houses like heritage or great collections. 

However I’m not sure where you are getting that MS64 FBL is a top pop? It’s far from it. And 1959 is a fairly common year for FBL. Looks like recent auctions are going for $40 or $45 dollars. 

I don’t see where a distinction is made in the price guides. I know type 2 is a variety recognized by NGC, but not sure if or how much premium it may add. 

I stand corrected. I do see where NGC has it listed now. They only show 3 graded with that variety period with all at MS64. I wonder if it’s a case of people not paying the additional variety fee on this because it may not be worth it? I’m not sure. There are much higher grades that do not have that variety. 

There are Type 2's in higher grades (65, some FBL) listed for $100 - $150 online but they are not recognized as such on the labels. If your looking to sell I'd try to get a slot added to the registry (if there isn't one already there) and sell now. I would think that the price is more likely to drop than rise on this coin as more are graded, I don't think the type 2 reverse is exceedingly rare. Don't know when NGC started recognizing this variety. Congrats on the grade and FBL's! 

NGC population 1959 Type 2 MS = 210 with (four 65 or higher), MSFBL = 3 all at 64. People might want to start cherry picking the Type 2's (not recognized on label) graded 65 or higher and resubmitting. 

I know this guy who has a 1959 D MS65 FBL, it's his birth year set :whistle:,  it's current NGC  "Value" is $115

.......edit: I just realized it was a 59 P my bad.....

4028804_Full_Obv.jpg?q=01302021204237

Edited by EdG_Ohio

Does anyone know if this is a new variety recognized by NGC? I don’t know the series that well. It is strange that they have only graded 3 with FBL in type 2. I just don’t know if type 2 is rare or if the variety just isn’t a concern for collectors in the series. 

4 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Does anyone know if this is a new variety recognized by NGC? I don’t know the series that well. It is strange that they have only graded 3 with FBL in type 2. I just don’t know if type 2 is rare or if the variety just isn’t a concern for collectors in the series. 

The only thing NGC has on Coin Explorer is This....Here.

"Though this issue is plentiful from uncirculated rolls and bags saved at the time, the 1959 Philadelphia Mint half dollar is surprisingly scarce in grades above MS-65. There are two possible reasons for this high grade rarity. Always considered a common issue, 1959(P) was not widely sought as single coins for many decades after being made, and frequent trading by the $50 face value bag led to the coins suffering frequent contact with one another. In addition, the U. S. Mint abandoned its cardboard Uncirculated Set holders that often imparted attractive toning to earlier dates in this series. The 1959 and later sets have instead been housed within plastic and thus never attained pleasing coloration that can boost their grades a point or two.

Like the 1958(P) halves, this issue may be found coined with a reverse die used previously to strike proofs. These are distinguished by the sharp eagle figure, and examples form a minority of the 1959(P) circulating edition. One reverse die was hubbed from both the proof and currency hubs. This resulted in the eagle showing the sharp figure overlapping the weak, and it is a highly prized variety (FS-801)."