• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GSA
1 1

56 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

seen a seller on EBAY just selling one of those cards only for over 300.

Cards for the 1890 thru 93 CC GSA Dollars go for big money.  It is very hard to get CC Coins and paper from this period.

For rare, scarce or just plain hard to get Carson City coins see Northern Nevada Coin.    https://northernnevadacoin.com

Edited by Alex in PA.

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

The seller had this one priced for 395.  Tax and all it ended up being 417 dollars. 

Check out the Heritage Auctions or even GC.  If you see one you love and it's dirt-cheap, you can always bid.  Or just look. xD

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Cards for the 1890 thru 93 CC GSA Dollars go for big money.  It is very hard to get CC Coins and paper from this period.

For rare, scarce or just plain hard to get Carson City coins see Northern Nevada Coin.    https://northernnevadacoin.com

I just checked that out. They got some very nice stuff on there. 

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Check out the Heritage Auctions or even GC.  If you see one you love and it's dirt-cheap, you can always bid.  Or just look. xD

I'll have to check out Heritage. I've bought a few from GC at really good prices. 1/2 to a 1/3 the price as the same coins on Ebay

Just now, GoldFinger1969 said:

Great Collections has some nice GSAs -- DMPL, CAC, PL, etc. -- in hard-to-get years with bidding in the 4-figure areas.

Those are way out of my league. I can barely get the 2 figure coins. 

We have some good experts on those coins, Hog, make sure you pick their brains. (thumbsu

I sure will my good friend. I enjoy reading their input and putting it to good use. 

1 minute ago, RWB said:

There's a large set of files on the GSA dollars in the archives. When I looked a few years ago, there did not seem to be much that was new other than some details.

You mean archived threads here at NGC, not in the NNP, right ?

By files... you mean posts ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

5 minutes ago, RWB said:

There's a large set of files on the GSA dollars in the archives. When I looked a few years ago, there did not seem to be much that was new other than some details.

I would love to read them. I'll have to look into them. 

You mean archived threads here at NGC, not in the NNP, right ?

By files... you mean posts ?

No. I refer to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) - specifically the facility on College Park, MD.

There's a little ordinary stuff in past NGC and PCGS posts/threads.

16 hours ago, Grant Gerlinger said:

Really nice coin! I want to get a CC someday. Right now I have some others I want to focus on first. It’s a special coin for sure!

It pays to scan GC and HA more than Ebay for this particular coin because their users tend to be more upscale and thus you can occasionally find a cheap coin that "falls by the crack" and goes dirt-cheap, especially a regular common GSA/CC which most serious collectors at GC and HA probably already have their fill of.

I've seen it on Ebay too but with reserves/minimums and coins being pulled, sometimes you don't get that 15-25% off FMV or so.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

28 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

It pays to scan GC and HA more than Ebay for this particular coin because their users tend to be more upscale and thus you can occasionally find a cheap coin that "falls by the crack" and goes dirt-cheap, especially a regular common GSA/CC which most serious collectors at GC and HA probably already have their fill of.

I've seen it on Ebay too but with reserves/minimums and coins being pulled, sometimes you don't get that 15-25% off FMV or so.

I got a 1909s lincoln very cheap from GC. Got it for $30 in XF condition.  That's the cheapest I've ever seen one of those. I was the only bidder.  I've gotten several nice coins from them at very good prices. 

31 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I almost pulled the trigger on an MS63+ GSA 1883 CC.  But it turns out I have an ungraded 1883 so I didn't want to have 2 of the same year.  When the bidding moved from $250 to $300, I bugged out.

On GC. I got on there and looked at a few.  Saw several I really wanted but I got insufficient funds right now. Still fun to get on there and check them out and see what they go for.  I saw several that just made my mouth water. 

On 3/20/2021 at 1:25 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Was it 1972 when the hoard was discovered?

Silver dollars were never popular in circulation and most of the annual draw from the Treasury holding would be in December each year for use as Christmas gifts.  But in the 1950's the draw down started increasing with tens of millions of coins being disbursed each year.  Then in the early 60's with silver climbing to the point where it was clear the coins would soon be worth more as metal than money the drawdown rate exploded.  Millions of coins were now being handed out weekly.  Anyone with silver certificate could demand exchange for silver dollars.  Then in 1962 the 1903 O dollars came out of the vaults and it went crazy.  Until that time the 03 O was THE key date for Morgans and practically unknown in Uncirculated and worth as much as $1,500 each.  Suddenly BAGS of them entered the market along with other key dates. (At least three mint sealed bags of Unc Seated dollars came out of the hoard at this time. 1859-O and 1860-O coins.) Now everyone wanted to play the silver dollar lottery.  You couldn't lose.  Even if you got common coins they were still worth face value so you lost nothing.  People lined up around the block at the Treasury building waiting to exchange their silver certificates for silver dollars.  People had carts strollers, even wheelbarrows to haul off their bags.

Finally in 1964 with stocks dwindling they cut off the exchange for silver dollar and you could only exchange for granules or silver bars.  (The dwindling stocks was one of the reasons why coining 45 million 1964 peace dollars was proposed.)  After the exchanges were ended and inventory of the less than 4 million coins was taken and it was discovered that almost 3 million of them were CC dollar worth well over face value.  They then spent years debating what to do with them.  One proposal that almost passed was to sell them to the American Heart Association at face value and let them sell them as a fundraiser.  Finally it was decided to sell them to the public in and auction format and in 1972 the GSA sales began.

Every CC Morgan dollar was in the hoard but three dates were represented by a single specimen.  At least two of them still exist in their original GSA holder, I don't believe the third date has ever surfaced.  Two other interesting coins in the GSA sales were a single circulated seated dollar, and a 50% off-center 1881 CC.  The seated dollar went out in the mixed circulated  category for $3.  It still exists in its GSA holder.  the off center went out as part of the "Mix CC dollars" category for $15.  It was eventually found but I don't know where it is today.  A note was included in the package requesting the new owner to contact the GSA to let them know who got it.  The new owner was unhappy with the coin at first because he got a "defective" coin.  That changed when he learned it was worth a LOT more than a regular coin.

Thank you Conder101. That is some wonderful information that I never knew. I bet it's unreal how much that off center is worth today.  Also the seated dollar. Those would be some great coins to own. That clears a whole lot up for me. Been nice to have gotten in on that exchange. 

6 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you Conder101. That is some wonderful information that I never knew. I bet it's unreal how much that off center is worth today.  Also the seated dollar. Those would be some great coins to own. That clears a whole lot up for me. Been nice to have gotten in on that exchange. 

He gave more detail but that and other stories can be found in David Bowers Whitman GUIDE book.  If you are interested in a particular type of coin, the Whitman GUIDE book should be your 1st book looks before you go to more advanced and in-depth books.

The GUIDE books are great for beginners and intermediate collectors.  I have the Morgan Silver Dollar and Double Eagle ones.