• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nic-a-date nickels

7 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Wallace D. McLennan said:

does any third party graders accept acid treated nickels for grading?

I should hope they don't. Any TPG that gave a FeCl3-etched coin a straight grade wouldn't be worth paying. I'm sure you could get one from JGS (Joe's Grading Service; my general term for the fly-by-nighters).

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

I should hope they don't. Any TPG that gave a FeCl3-etched coin a straight grade wouldn't be worth paying. I'm sure you could get one from JGS (Joe's Grading Service; my general term for the fly-by-nighters).

Not looking for a straight grade of course. Like you, I would never expect that from a company of integrity. It would be nice if someone would simply assign a "genuine" or "acid treated" description however. Specifically, for example; the 18/7-D Buffalo Nickel or the 13-ST1 are coins that most collectors like myself can never afford in any grade but I would rather have a acid-treated one than not have one at all. The much lower cost of a treated coin makes that possible for us poorer collectors. Most treated coins are low grade and very hard to photograph and it would be helpful to buyers who choose on their own to go this route to be assured of authenticity at the very least.

Have a nice day! 

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

I have only seen them in genuine, 'damaged' holders. someone may straight grade them but I have my doubts

I would never expect them to be straight graded. Damaged, acid-treated, or simply genuine would do nicely. Just wondering what companies would accept them at all for grading.

Thanks

None would straight grade them, PCGS and NGC may refuse them as altered coins (I don't know if that is true). ANACS will accept them and detail grade them.