• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Set Cents
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Should be old time solid copper for reasons mentioned in previous post.. This is better for collectors not worrying if zinc coins will degrade in the holder.

Might be minor aesthetic reasons - provided actual French Bronze was used and not the 95-Cu, 5-Sn/Zn originally chose in 1863. The color and sonority are different.

12 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Personally I think if they aren't making the coins for circulation they shouldn't be making them for collector sets.

This comment goes so way beyond the pale it makes Insider's parting shot that no one is entitled to free medical care quite tame by comparison.  I wonder where VKurtB stands on this...? 

8 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

This comment goes so way beyond the pale it makes Insider's parting shot that no one is entitled to free medical care quite tame by comparison.  I wonder where VKurtB stands on this...? 

I agree fully with Conder. If a coin isn't being made for circulation, it shouldn't be in that year's sets either. But don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. NIFC coins are a huge part of the U.S. Mint's cash flow. Commemoratives and bullion are another matter entirely. But continuing to put out Kennedy halves and dollar coins that aren't intended for commerce is a sort of obscenity.

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

But continuing to put out Kennedy halves and dollar coins that aren't intended for commerce is a sort of obscenity.

I agree.

Problem is even on ms70 and pf70 coins you can tell the zinc is under the copper layer. Irregularities where the copper and zinc meet show through even on high grade coins.. So I feel if it were a solid copper cent you'd be getting a much better struck coin that would last much longer..

Edited by errorist
Missed a word

2 hours ago, errorist said:

Problem is even on ms70 and pf70 coins you can tell the zinc is under the copper layer. Irregularities where the copper and zinc meet show through even on high grade coins.. So I feel if it were a solid copper cent you'd be getting a much better struck coin that would last much longer..

The proof cent blanks are prepared with a double thickness of copper plating, and all 2009 cents in both uncirculated and proof sets were the classic bronze alloy. It’s why a full set of 2009 cents consists of 20 coins. Four designs times 5 “types” - zinc P, zinc D, bronze P (only in uncirculated set), bronze D (also only in uncirculated set), and bronze proof S.

13 hours ago, VKurtB said:

The proof cent blanks are prepared with a double thickness of copper plating, and all 2009 cents in both uncirculated and proof sets were the classic bronze alloy. It’s why a full set of 2009 cents consists of 20 coins. Four designs times 5 “types” - zinc P, zinc D, bronze P (only in uncirculated set), bronze D (also only in uncirculated set), and bronze proof S.

Still to thin. Can still see inconsistencies in the field. Needs to be a solid copper cent like in the past.. 

1 hour ago, errorist said:

Still to thin. Can still see inconsistencies in the field. Needs to be a solid copper cent like in the past.. 

Don’t hold your breath waiting for it to happen. The 2009 bronze cents in sets were a special one time thing. Think about it - how ridiculously expensive would it be to create bronze blanks just for set coins on an ongoing basis? They’d be as expensive as silver blanks. 

You know copper degrades too, which is why red coins turn redbrown and eventually brown.  They can also corrode pretty nastily too...

5 hours ago, jtryka said:

You know copper degrades too, which is why red coins turn redbrown and eventually brown.  They can also corrode pretty nastily too...

Yeah but not as easy as the zinc..

On 3/18/2021 at 8:38 PM, errorist said:

Yeah but not as easy as the zinc..

If I recall correctly, the original reason for the TPGs note guaranteeing copper for extended periods had more to do with coins certified as RED turning into something less than RED in the holder.

49 minutes ago, jtryka said:

If I recall correctly, the original reason for the TPGs note guaranteeing copper for extended periods had more to do with coins certified as RED turning into something less than RED in the holder.

For some reason, I find that I can find no fault with that reasoning which means any coin collector who manages to acquire red encapsulated cents deserves a premium.

43 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

For some reason, I find that I can find no fault with that reasoning which means any coin collector who manages to acquire red encapsulated cents deserves a premium.

Why? Even encapsulated red cents will (and do) turn red/brown and then brown. I swear that some major TPGS slabs actually ACCELERATE this change, rather than slowing it.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:33 PM, VKurtB said:

Why? Even encapsulated red cents will (and do) turn red/brown and then brown. I swear that some major TPGS slabs actually ACCELERATE this change, rather than slowing it.

Take a guy like me with no axe to grind and no reputation to lose owing to ignorance...

Question:  would one make out better with standard encapsulation using high tech, space-agr plastic and chip technology or use very virtually inbdistructable tempered glass featuring an "unreakable" glass, to maintain glass coins in conditon originsl condition interred?

Related question to our learned colleage:  is there any trutj to the fanciful thinking I seemed to have developed that U.K. coins experience far fewer deficiencies durjng the course of production. -- across the minting spectrum -- than their U.S. counterparts?  Maybe what's needed is a Trials of the Crypt (my joke) to maintain consumer confidence.  I am still a Closet believer in the virtues of plastic currency as used first in Australia.

11 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Take a guy like me with no axe to grind and no reputation to lose owing to ignorance...

Question:  would one make out better with standard encapsulation using high tech, space-agr plastic and chip technology or use very virtually inbdistructable tempered glass featuring an "unreakable" glass, to maintain glass coins in conditon originsl condition interred?

Related question to our learned colleage:  is there any trutj to the fanciful thinking I seemed to have developed that U.K. coins experience far fewer deficiencies durjng the course of production. -- across the minting spectrum -- than their U.S. counterparts?  Maybe what's needed is a Trials of the Crypt (my joke) to maintain consumer confidence.  I am still a Closet believer in the virtues of plastic currency as used first in Australia.

I think the difference may be that the U.K. changes dies more frequently. Either that or the fact that many of their  coins are plated steel these days makes for a smoother surface. I’ll inquire when the COVID nonsense stops delaying my Royal Mint VIP tour.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

It also took the TPG off the hook for the loss of value when the Red coin turned RB.