• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pretty pennies

45 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Oh, I got right on in there. Lol. So, what is so special about this cent? 

Not sure....must be something about the 1914-D that causes this coin even in a pretty low-grade and with environmental damage to cost over $500.  But I'm not an expert on this coin or the population so I won't venture more than that.

It can't be an ultra-rare coin though...it would cost more AND it would have something in the Description section over at HA.  I was surprised there wasn't a few lines.  

OK, there were non-1914D coins in a search but I found this near the top of the most expensive and it explains for another 1914-D why that year and mintmark are so valuable:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/small-cents/1914-d-1c-ms66-red-pcgs-pcgs-2473-/a/1232-3073.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So they only made 1.1 million of these....very few saved...thus, if you want one in the key MS-66 grade with the Red color, it's expensive.

"The 1909-S VDB remains collectible through MS66 Red, but only 10 examples of the 1914-D have been certified by PCGS and NGC combined at the MS66 grade level, with the Red designation. These 10 certification events are evenly split between the services, with five citations at each grading house. No finer examples have been certified at either service, and even this small figure may include a few resubmissions and crossovers (12/15). Most of the high-grade examples we know about today probably come from a hoard of about 700 pieces that Walter Breen says existed until the 1950s, although Q. David Bowers reports two rolls of Red and Brown Uncirculated specimens were discovered in Hawaii or the Philippines in the 1970s."

Edited by GoldFinger1969

You'll notice that there's lots of good information on the coin in question AND other coins mentioned in these descriptions over at HA.  Here's some info on the 1925-D and it immediately tells you a few other key dates.  It also starts out by printing something many can relate to: how many collectors tried to collect pennies as kids with the Whitman books but couldn't find the "key" dates:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/small-cents/1925-d-1c-ms66-red-pcgs-pcgs-2563-/a/1129-194.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The Single Finest PCGS 1925-D Lincoln Cent  MS66 Red

1925-D 1C MS66 Red PCGS. Collectors of Registry Set Lincolns are mostly keen, sharp-eyed, and deep-pocketed, making "men's (and women's) toys" from a series that most of us tried--and failed--to complete inexpensively from circulation coins, popping them into blue Whitman folders when we were young.

In the highest Registry Set or Mint State levels, some of the various Lincoln cent issues turn the normal relationships between them on their heads.

For example, that ever-elusive 1909-S VDB: It was an immense prize, the rarest and among the most expensive coins in a circulated set. But in MS65 or MS66 Red, while still costly, it is far less expensive (per the PCGS online Price Guide, to which we refer throughout) than the 1914-D, the 1914-S, the 1915-S, or the 1917-S. (We do not mention the 1916-S, because PCGS has never certified an MS66 Red and therefore provides no price.) The 1918-S in MS65 Red costs four times the price of a Gem Red 1909-S VDB.

In the 1920s, some of the mintmarked issues provide even more stark differences. A Gem Red 1921-S costs twice what a Gem Red S VDB goes for. A Gem Red 1922-D (if you can find one) is about half of an S VDB in 65 Red--a bargain, in our opinion--but a 1923-S in MS65 Red will cost three times as much. And of course, the storied 1926-S in MS65 Red, the only one so certified at PCGS, has become a legendary rarity, a coin that we have handled twice.

The 1924-D and 1924-S are a similar story, and so are the 1925-D and 1925-S. Only with the 1927-D (but not the 1927-S) and later mintmarked issues do the comparisons and prices start to become more favorable.

The present Premium Gem Red 1925-D cent is one of just two so certified at PCGS, and needless to say, there are none finer, either technically or aesthetically. This fully brilliant Premium Gem has gorgeous orange mint luster, with bold design details for an issue that is a notorious strike rarity. In fact, the design definition is sharper on this example than on any other we have handled. The surfaces are frosty and pristine, entirely void of marks or spots. The coloration is a brilliant sunset-orange.

Registry Set collectors note: Of the top five PCGS sets, this coin would upgrade all three of the Current Finest Lincoln Cent Basic Sets, Circulation Strikes that display their inventory (PCGS has an option where you can display your set and ranking, but not its components). Two of those sets contain a 1925-D in MS64 Red; the third has an MS65 Red. Population: 2 in 66 Red, 0 finer (9/09).(Registry values: N2998)

Edited by GoldFinger1969

12 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Not sure....must be something about the 1914-D that causes this coin even in a pretty low-grade and with environmental damage to cost over $500.  But I'm not an expert on this coin or the population so I won't venture more than that.

It can't be an ultra-rare coin though...it would cost more AND it would have something in the Description section over at HA.  I was surprised there wasn't a few lines.  

I looked at some of the 1914 Ds on Ebay and it said it's a key date. Low mintage

Edited by Hoghead515

9 hours ago, Sharann said:

@Mr.Bill347 look what I found today! I don't think they are key date coins but they are so pretty! They reminded me of your new ones. I found these in a bag not yet looked through. They appear to be almost perfect, to me anyway. 

Anyway, I just wanted to show them to you because I think you are a penny (at least 1982), lover too! 

1614485851058811800862700507027.jpg

1614485902511179265213251557003.jpg

16144859372882610140913546111704.jpg

16144859725186065785603390631553.jpg

Thank You! What a great post by everyone! Yes I love the pennies and I have been thoroughly bitten by the numisbug. I have been chasing Mercury dimes for a few days but getting outbid on all attempts. A 74 coin set less 1916-D and 1921-D is running right about $300 whattt? But there are sets out there up to $22,000.

I’ll never get there but will keep trying. Keep at it Sharann look at the fun your having!

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

I looked at some of the 1914 Ds on Ebay and it said it's a key date 

Never trust a seller on Ebay for specific information, always double-check.  The Heritage descriptions are usually 99.9% solid.  Hell, I even looked up key/expensive Saint-Gaudens listings (many with separate comments from David Akers)...copied them into a Word Document....turned that into a PDF...and now have it on my smartphone to read anytime I want to.  Easier than looking them all up in the archive plus as I've said if anything happened to their online database, I am protected.

1 minute ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Never trust a seller on Ebay for specific information, always double-check.  The Heritage descriptions are usually 99.9% solid.  Hell, I even looked up key/expensive Saint-Gaudens listings (many with separate comments from David Akers)...copied them into a Word Document....turned that into a PDF...and now have it on my smartphone to read anytime I want to.  Easier than looking them all up in the archive plus as I've said if anything happened to their online database, I am protected.

I agree. I was just looking to see what the prices were running at. Had several listing from reputable dealers saying it had a low mintage and is a key date. It is got some pretty high prices on it. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thank You! What a great post by everyone! Yes I love the pennies and I have been thoroughly bitten by the numisbug. I have been chasing Mercury dimes for a few days but getting outbid on all attempts. A 74 coin set less 1916-D and 1921-D is running right about $300 whattt? But there are sets out there up to $22,000.

I’ll never get there but will keep trying. Keep at it Sharann look at the fun your having!

Oh I will. I try to have fun doing everything I do. Life's much too short not to! And, I kinda like a challenge, so there's that! 🤣

Here's some pennies going off at Great Collections tonight (their auctions appear to always end on Sunday nights).  Scroll down to the Coin Auctions and Buy Now coins section:

https://www.greatcollections.com/Series/17/1909-1958-Lincoln-Cents

So with just over 9 hours left....I see a bunch of 1909's from $26 to $9,800 (a 67 DD).  You can see what happens as you go up in grade and if there's a special condition like a DD or toning.  The "Red" designation appears to matter (not familiar with these coins, just pointing it out xD).  Other non-1909's show up further down the list.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

24 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Here's some pennies going off at Great Collections tonight (their auctions appear to always end on Sunday nights).  Scroll down to the Coin Auctions and Buy Now coins section:

So with just over 9 hours left....I see a bunch of 1909's from $26 to $9,800 (a 67 DD).  You can see what happens as you go up in grade and if there's a special condition like a DD or toning.  The "Red" designation appears to matter (not familiar with these coins, just pointing it out xD).  Other non-1909's show up further down the list.

Is Heritage an auction only or do they grade also? 

44 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Great Collections is a great auction. Can usually get some good deals. I've bought a few from them. 

27 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Is Heritage an auction only or do they grade also? 

Heritage Auctions just auctions.  The 2 biggies in grading are PCGS and NGC (our sponsor here).  ANACs and ICG do a nice job in their specialty fields but are much smaller.  I believe "Insider" here and on CT works for ICG.

The main auction places are Ebay (derisevely called "Fleabay" for all the junk and counterfeits seenxD)...Heritage, the largest....Great Collections (pretty new but developing a nice niche)...and Stacks Bowers (a smaller Heritage with a long history but only dealing in high-end coins for the most part).  There are other auction houses -- some affiliated with dealers -- but between Ebay, HA, and GC, you are more than covered for low-priced and higher-end coins.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

5 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Great Collections is a great auction. Can usually get some good deals. I've bought a few from them. 

The lack of sales tax and lower post-hammer charges (lower commission) adds up, esp. on lower-priced items you want to spend a certain amount on and no more.

The 14 D cent was the third lowest mintage Lincoln cent made for circulation.  It first and 4th (1909 SVDB and 1909 S) were the first year of issue and were hoarded in quantity.  So even though the SVDB has a much lower mintage it is available but pricy.  The second lowest, the 1931 S was known to be a very low mintage almost immediately and most of the mintage was immediately hoarded. But when the 14 D came out Lincolns had become common place and no one paid any attention to it.  They were NOT hoarded and most of the mintage entered circulation and were worn down and/or lost.  So there are fewer 1914 D's and most of them are in lower grades.  In higher grades the 14 D is tougher to locate than its lower mintage siblings.  So you have a key date that seldom comes in better condition.  So even as a details coin, this is a desirable piece.

4 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

The 14 D cent was the third lowest mintage Lincoln cent made for circulation.  It first and 4th (1909 SVDB and 1909 S) were the first year of issue and were hoarded in quantity.  So even though the SVDB has a much lower mintage it is available but pricy.  The second lowest, the 1931 S was known to be a very low mintage almost immediately and most of the mintage was immediately hoarded. But when the 14 D came out Lincolns had become common place and no one paid any attention to it.  They were NOT hoarded and most of the mintage entered circulation and were worn down and/or lost.  So there are fewer 1914 D's and most of them are in lower grades.  In higher grades the 14 D is tougher to locate than its lower mintage siblings.  So you have a key date that seldom comes in better condition.  So even as a details coin, this is a desirable piece.

You are a very good explainer @Conder101. There are a few things, well I sure there'll be plenty as I go, that bewilder me but I am trying to figure them out on my own. If I can't, I may be reaching out to you for a great explanation, if you don't mind. 😊