• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 American Silver Eagles

11 posts in this topic

There are quite a few collectors out there that will pay good money for toned silver eagles. It mostly depends on the type of colors that they tone. Silver eagles are known for some wild toning. Here's one of mine for example. 

2013 Toned SAE.jpg

7 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

There are quite a few collectors out there that will pay good money for toned silver eagles. It mostly depends on the type of colors that they tone. Silver eagles are known for some wild toning. Here's one of mine for example. 

2013 Toned SAE.jpg

I agree. With toned coins its all about eye appeal and finding the right buyer. That is a beautiful ASE. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am in no way trying to tell you to buy or not buy the coin. If you like the coin and think it is a good value, then go for it. I myself have paid a premium for a toned coin. My point was that a clean untoned ASE is generally worth more than a toned one. But, there are plenty of people who like toned coins over clean ones. Im sure plenty of people could go back and forth on this subject.

7 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Don’t get me wrong, I am in no way trying to tell you to buy or not buy the coin. If you like the coin and think it is a good value, then go for it. I myself have paid a premium for a toned coin. My point was that a clean untoned ASE is generally worth more than a toned one. But, there are plenty of people who like toned coins over clean ones. Im sure plenty of people could go back and forth on this subject.

Thanx for neutral input :)

32 minutes ago, ldhall said:

Its a MS 70 by Anacs

s-l1600.jpg

I would also say that the ANACS slab is another reason for the discounted price, as they are generally cheaper than NGC or PCGS slabbed coins.

Toning is in the eye of the beholder....What looks beautiful to one collector may turn another off.  I have paid great premiums for some beautifuly toned coins and other i have walked from just because it was ugly.