• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trade Dollar article in Coin World
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I will add this little paragraph to the article information:

"The Annual Assay Commission records include Trade dollars through 1878 after which they were discontinued. The Commission never examined medals, so none of the "medal" proof Trade dollars appear in their records. One consequence is that "medal" proof Trade dollars might have been made using normal standard silver dollar planchets, not legitimate heavier Trade dollar planchets. I've seen no uniform data from the TPGs regarding measured weights."

Also, I'm not sure if any of the major TPGs perform routine physical measurements on coins they receive - even ones on the rarity of 1884 and 1885 Trade dollars.

On 2/27/2022 at 12:45 PM, RWB said:

Neat! I did not get a copy of the printed article, so this is the first time I've seen it.

Really??  The first time you've seen this?   I'm a digital subscriber, so I can see the archives.

That's probably because you do so many article, you can't keep track of them all.............................am I right? 😃 👍🏻

I'm getting ready to submit an article to CW.  If I'm lucky enough to get it published, that would be a MAJOR accomplishment for me.

Great article by the way! 👍🏻   I wish I could write half as good as you!!

Thanks! I do what I can, and try to be complete and accurate. Mint documentation is very scattered with a lot of gaps from lost or discarded materials. Let me know if you'd like an extra set of editorial eyes on your draft.

(I'm not very conscientious about getting print copies - most don't have all the original references, which reduces their research value to me.)

Edited by RWB

On 2/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, RWB said:

Thanks! I do what I can, and try to be complete and accurate. Mint documentation is very scattered with a lot of gaps from lost or discarded materials. Let me know if you'd like an extra set of editorial eyes on your draft.

(I'm not very conscientious about getting print copies - most don't have all the original references, which reduces their research value to me.)

Thanks very much!  I just might take you up on your editorial eyes offer.  I've slowly been compiling my thoughts and references research materials.

Yes, I would imagine Mint documentation from years ago would be scattered. 

As part of my research, I submitted a notarized FOIA request to the Treasury and Mint. It's a modern coin, so I'm hoping there are current documents, logs and records available to answer my questions.    

On 2/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, RWB said:

Hope that goes well. The Mint Historian might be able to help.

The Mint Historian?!?!  Hmmmm!  Who is that?  Where is he or she and how can I track them down. 

That's okay, that's probably easy to find.   Thanks for that tip.  I hadn't thought of that.  👍🏻

Maybe someone can answer quickly....I'm confused.....how or by whom did Trade Dollars continue (to be struck, I presume) after the U.S. Government (I presume no private parties could strike them ?) ceased minting them ?

Is this something unique to Trade Dollars that is confusing me ?  I admittedly know nothing about the series.:(

EDIT:  NEVER MIND....I see it is for PROOFS only.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

The Historian's office is at US Mint HQ in Washington, DC....I think on the 6th floor. There is a directory on-line (I think). You can also contact Mr. Francis O’Hearn, Chief Information Officer, United States Mint.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:16 PM, RWB said:

The Historian's office is at US Mint HQ in Washington, DC....I think on the 6th floor. There is a directory on-line (I think). You can also contact Mr. Francis O’Hearn, Chief Information Officer, United States Mint.

That's brilliant Roger. Thanks very much!!