• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoot's latest article in Coin Values

10 posts in this topic

Mark -

Hat's off to you! I just finished reading your article in the latest issue of Coins Values on Frank Gasparro's efforts to create a Libery dollar coin that was thwated by politics and partisanship and was retired in favor of the SBA dollar. The amount of research you had to have done for this piece is truly impressive! Thanks for taking the time to write such a piece and for sharing the knowledge you accumulated...it is most appreciated. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Roger, I am most grateful for your comments. That article was great fun to research and I had the aid of some Coin World staff and their archives. Pulling together disperate information in time and space was a good challenge. Gave me new perspective on the SBA dollar and the implementation of the design. Gasparro had it tough in that battle. My thanks to all who take a moment to read the piece.

Mark.

I finally got my copy of Coin World today and really enjoyed Hoot's article "Gasparro's Liberty" pg. 52. It brought back a flood of memories and contained some things I hadn't been aware of such as the liberty design on the '69 ANA medal.

The other articles were good in this issue also though there is an unfortunate title for Deisher's effort. In context "most Susie B's survive in high grade" isn't so bad since this is defined as including high circulated grades. The non-reader and some casual readers might be led to believe MS-67's abound for all these dates while in point of fact they don't exist at all for some. I suppose this isn't really such a huge problem and may well have been in part intentional, but it is misleading.

Excellent article, Hoot! I finally took the time to read it. It's a shame that really nice pieces like Gasparro's design are subjected to all of the political 893blahblah.gifc 893blahblah.gifr 893blahblah.gifa 893blahblah.gifp 893blahblah.gif. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point in time we'd see the depiction of a woman with 13 "body rings" through her nose, eyebrow, tongue, oh, and ear, of course, and tattoos on her cheek and neck.

I'm still looking for the medal designed by David Lange for the Liberty Numismatic Society and, now, I'll have to add the '69 ANA medal to the list. Anyone know where I can get one?

Chris

Excellent article, Hoot! I finally took the time to read it. It's a shame that really nice pieces like Gasparro's design are subjected to all of the political 893blahblah.gifc 893blahblah.gifr 893blahblah.gifa 893blahblah.gifp 893blahblah.gif. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point in time we'd see the depiction of a woman with 13 "body rings" through her nose, eyebrow, tongue, oh, and ear, of course, and tattoos on her cheek and neck.

I'm still looking for the medal designed by David Lange for the Liberty Numismatic Society and, now, I'll have to add the '69 ANA medal to the list. Anyone know where I can get one?

Chris

I think I know a guy who might be able to find you one,I'll get back to you.Have you already checked eBay?

Chris

I think I know a guy who might be able to find you one,I'll get back to you.Have you already checked eBay?

No luck on eBay. Look for my PM, Hayden.

Thanks!

Chris

Hoot,

This is your most well written article to date! I wish I had the article before me to quote some examples but your writing style was outstanding, your grammar was impecable, and some of your statements were (dang, I can't even find the right word for it) just ... WOW!

So, as an English 101 and an English 102 veteran ... Congratulations on an article well written!! thumbsup2.gif