• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error Worth getting graded? 1983

8 posts in this topic

Perhaps a plating bubble, perhaps just damage, but either way its not a mint error and the condition of the coin is so bad its unlikely to be graded.  It would most likely sent back as not gradable due to environmental damage.

Looks more like it has extra  on top not a scrape in the coin. Just curious what it would be called if it was in better shape because to me it definitely looks like an error not damage I know I'm new and trying to learn the difference but it would seem odd that damage would add more material to the coin. 698625340_IMG_20210210_0948232.thumb.jpg.23460cc22d22c5a1a6250128f3423c9b.jpg

If you read my post I noted that it may be a plating bubble, that was a very common problem in the first few years when the mint switched from copper to the current zinc with copper plating in 1982.  Plating issues take many forms including raised bumps and in this case a linear form.  But again as I said the fact that this coin's condition is so poor and that it has been environmentally damaged makes it unsuitable for grading even if it was a true error.