• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MYSTERY 10c TOKEN I CANT FIND INFO. HELP!

12 posts in this topic

That one might be tough. You might have to contact TAMS and see if they have a forum where you can ask. Most trade tokens have some sort of indication of where they might be valid, and this doesn't have any such thing. Don't assume it's somewhere in the US; in my search through a couple hundred, I found many that were non-US.

4 minutes ago, JKK said:

That one might be tough. You might have to contact TAMS and see if they have a forum where you can ask. Most trade tokens have some sort of indication of where they might be valid, and this doesn't have any such thing. Don't assume it's somewhere in the US; in my search through a couple hundred, I found many that were non-US.

Ok I'm going to do just that.. Curiosity is killing the Cat.  Thank you sirr

Do you mean like this one on EBay? It is interesting though, I looked through thousands of token images and couldn’t find anything similar. Is it the same on both sides? They used them in the civil war, prisons, cigar stores, arcades,  normally som3 kind of ID. Not on this one

0839A66B-22EB-434C-89E2-944CBBF662C7.jpeg

You might be surprised to find out what a big thing exonumia is. At our club, seems like half the presentations are about tokens. We've got one guy who is probably Oregon's foremost expert on those from this state. They love this stuff and have a lot of knowledge in TAMS.

Do you mean like this one on EBay? It is interesting though, I looked through thousands of token images and couldn’t find anything similar. Is it the same on both sides? They used them in the civil war, prisons, cigar stores, arcades,  normally som3 kind of ID. Not on this one. I found this “ quote on a very similar token”

Pickers Tokens / Checks have been in use since the civil war era of the 1860's. They came into use on farms and orchards because many of the farm workers did not speak English and/or could not do math. As a worker would pick the crop, they would turn in the pint, quart, peck, bushel, bag, etc of produce and receive a token of some value. At the end of the day, the worker would exchange the tokens for cash.

Many times, the token will have ie: 1 P or 1 QT or 1 B. This equates to 1 pint / 1 peck or 1 quart or 1 bushel / 1 bag. Others will simply have a number without the unit of measure. Tokens with a number only were normally used on farms that had only one product such as a strawberry farm or a tomato farm.

A few farms had the farm name on the token while others had the initials of the farm or owners on the tokens, but most had nothing identifying the farm where they were used.

1 hour ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Do you mean like this one on EBay? It is interesting though, I looked through thousands of token images and couldn’t find anything similar. Is it the same on both sides? They used them in the civil war, prisons, cigar stores, arcades,  normally som3 kind of ID. Not on this one

0839A66B-22EB-434C-89E2-944CBBF662C7.jpeg

You found it! yea 10c on both sides wow Thank you Sirr. Not worth grading right?

1 hour ago, JKK said:

You might be surprised to find out what a big thing exonumia is. At our club, seems like half the presentations are about tokens. We've got one guy who is probably Oregon's foremost expert on those from this state. They love this stuff and have a lot of knowledge in TAMS.

This is so much help. I will check out TAMS, I got one more rare token in which i did send off for grading last week ill post it momentarily Heritage Auctions apologized for not finding info and Stack Bowers were not sure including other collectors and me just curious what they say. stand by 

32 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Do you mean like this one on EBay? It is interesting though, I looked through thousands of token images and couldn’t find anything similar. Is it the same on both sides? They used them in the civil war, prisons, cigar stores, arcades,  normally som3 kind of ID. Not on this one. I found this “ quote on a very similar token”

Pickers Tokens / Checks have been in use since the civil war era of the 1860's. They came into use on farms and orchards because many of the farm workers did not speak English and/or could not do math. As a worker would pick the crop, they would turn in the pint, quart, peck, bushel, bag, etc of produce and receive a token of some value. At the end of the day, the worker would exchange the tokens for cash.

Many times, the token will have ie: 1 P or 1 QT or 1 B. This equates to 1 pint / 1 peck or 1 quart or 1 bushel / 1 bag. Others will simply have a number without the unit of measure. Tokens with a number only were normally used on farms that had only one product such as a strawberry farm or a tomato farm.

A few farms had the farm name on the token while others had the initials of the farm or owners on the tokens, but most had nothing identifying the farm where they were used.

This is gold info for me on tokens and interesting I'm loving it. Thank you

12 minutes ago, MARK RAMIREZ said:

This is so much help. I will check out TAMS, I got one more rare token in which i did send off for grading last week ill post it momentarily Heritage Auctions apologized for not finding info and Stack Bowers were not sure including other collectors and me just curious what they say. stand by 

2021-01-30 14.38.40.jpg

20210130_142144.jpg