• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading PL Morgan dollars

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I am getting coins to submit fo rNGC to grade. I believe I have a few that would grade as PL. On the form, what box do I check for NGC to check for. would that be a variety plus coin?

Thanks

CEM

From an NGC article:

"NGC applies the PL and DPL designations automatically to qualified coins at the time of grading and at no additional cost. NGC’s use of “DPL” is equivalent to the “DMPL” designation used by some other grading services."

Here is the link

Edited by Just Bob

"PL" is not a grade -- it is a description of appearance just like "shiny." Grading (condition determination) should be entirely free of this type of description, with the "PL" tag added. That is, the coin should grade the same whether it was PL or not.

Almost-nearly-kinda-semi-sorta-maybe-proof-like, etc., etc.

This is the progression of rubbish that builds on a lack of clear standards maintained by a recognized authority or collector organization. (Hint: Wake up ANA.)

Edited by RWB

6 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I especially like the latest:  "Semi-Prooflike".  :preach:

It’s nothing the least bit new and it’s legitimately descriptive. Haven’t you seen coins that were somewhat reflective, but not enough so to make PL? I’ve seen lots of them. And despite what some here might say, it’s not about money. I’ve bought and sold semi-PL coins at no extra premium.

Edited by MarkFeld

9 hours ago, RWB said:

"PL" is not a grade -- it is a description of appearance just like "shiny." Grading (condition determination) should be entirely free of this type of description, with the "PL" tag added. That is, the coin should grade the same whether it was PL or not.

More specifically,  “PL” is a designation (apart from grade).

23 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

More specifically,  “PL” is a designation (apart from grade).

Then why do different valuations? MS 63 and MS63 DMPL  are both the same grade?

PL and DMPL Are a grade in themselves.IMO.

2 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

Yes, MS63 and MS63 DMPL are both the same (numerical) grade. But the latter has an attribute which the former doesn’t and it’s designated as such.

PL and DMPL are not grades. As you know, in our industry, grades are numerical - on a scale of 70 and lower. PL and DMPL are modifiers/designations. The same goes for color designations on bronze coins as well as “FH”, FBL”, “FB”, etc.

7 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Yes, MS63 and MS63 DMPL are both the same (numerical) grade. But the latter has an attribute which the former doesn’t and it’s designated as such.

PL and DMPL are not grades. As you know, in our industry, grades are numerical - on a scale of 70 and lower. PL and DMPL are modifiers/designations. The same goes for color designations on bronze coins as well as “FH”, FBL”, “FB”, etc.

It seems NGC considers the strike character a part and parcel of the grade.

NGC Coin Grading Scale | About Coin Grades | NGC

5 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

It seems NGC considers the strike character a part and parcel of the grade.

NGC Coin Grading Scale | About Coin Grades | NGC

If those “strike characters” were part of the “grade”, they should affect the numerical grade and they don’t. If I remember correctly, in the old days, NGC even had a separate “designation review” and it included PL and DMPL, among other designations. It was less costly than (grade) regrades.

But I really think we’re talking semantics here and I realize that plenty of others see it the same way you do. So my side of our gentlemanly debate is now done.

Just another problem created by a lack of standards and absence of any recognized "authority" for those standards. (Wake up ANA....!)

5 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

in the old days, NGC even had a separate “designation review”

You are correct.  I definitely remember checking that particular box when I would do a submission.  If I remember correctly there was no charge for this service.

15 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

You are correct.  I definitely remember checking that particular box when I would do a submission.  If I remember correctly there was no charge for this service.

I'm certain there was a charge, but that it was quite a bit less than that for a regular regrade. If it had been free, think about how often that option would have been used. :whatthe:

2 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I'm certain there was a charge

On thier form they 'Appearance Review' listed charge $0.  This is what I meant.  Sorry for my confusion.

9 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

If those “strike characters” were part of the “grade”, they should affect the numerical grade and they don’t. If I remember correctly, in the old days, NGC even had a separate “designation review” and it included PL and DMPL, among other designations. It was less costly than (grade) regrades.

But I really think we’re talking semantics here and I realize that plenty of others see it the same way you do. So my side of our gentlemanly debate is now done.

I was thinking symantics as well... 
Maybe NGC can reword their page to clarify.

On 1/26/2021 at 6:57 PM, MAULEMALL said:

It’s a different population, like red giants or red dwarfs on the Hertzbrung Russell diagram of stars. 

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

It’s a different population, like red giants or red dwarfs on the Hertzbrung Russell diagram of stars. 

That is most definitely obtuse as Red giants can and most probably become white dwarfs.. 

it's a shame Thing doesn't post here anymore.. Very big into the stars.. Was noted for discovering a storm on Mars a few years back..

Our most noted publisher now is noted for electricity bills at the mint..:whistle:

Edited by MAULEMALL